NIH Rankings for Every Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't trust these rankings.

First, they combine Radiology and Rad Onc numbers. As we all know, these are completely different specialties, with the same minimal cross-talk as any other two clinical departments.

Second, their numbers are completely out of whack with the other numbers I've seen for Radiology. They seem to not count most affiliated hospitals in the rankings. This is very noticeable for Harvard's affiliates: MGH, BID, B&W, etc...

Thanks for posting that. I have been looking at the NIH data sheets after they refused to rank institutions (circa 2006), but this sums it up nicely.

I don't trust these rankings.

First, they combine Radiology and Rad Onc numbers. As we all know, these are completely different specialties, with the same minimal cross-talk as any other two clinical departments.

Second, their numbers are completely out of whack with the other numbers I've seen for Radiology. They seem to not count most affiliated hospitals in the rankings. This is very noticeable for Harvard's affiliates: MGH, BID, B&W, etc...

They say pretty clearly they don't count up affiliates. In fact they specifically mention Harvard on the front page.

As for combining Rads and Rads/Onc, don't know why the NIH does it that away, agree its stupid. But all these guys did was sum up publicly available information. These kinds of numbers are always fun to look at, not sure what real info they give you, lots of caveats.

They say pretty clearly they don't count up affiliates. In fact they specifically mention Harvard on the front page.

In that case, they could list them separately. MGH has had more Radiology funding than any other institution for many years, and it's not even on that list. It's very misleading to a research interested residency applicant who doesn't know these things. Brigham and Women's would probably also make their top list for Radiology funding if counted separately.

See: http://www.acadrad.org/showpage.aspx?page=nih_radiology_grants_fy2008