NIH research, worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twinkiee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys!! i need some input...

i just graduated and my overall app (i.e. science gpa) isn't THAT strong... i'm takin the august MCAT (and hoping for the best :))... and holding off on applying until next year..

anyway... I was thinking of doing research in the meantime...

did any of you guys do research through the NIH IRTA program? I'm trying to decide if doing research through NIH would be more useful than doing research at any other research institute (such as a university)...

I guess when I say useful... I'm wondering if NIH would look better on my app than other positions...

if i could get any input on this, that would be great!! Thanks, guys!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

twinkiee said:
hi guys!! i need some input...

i just graduated and my overall app (i.e. science gpa) isn't THAT strong... i'm takin the august MCAT (and hoping for the best :))... and holding off on applying until next year..

anyway... I was thinking of doing research in the meantime...

did any of you guys do research through the NIH IRTA program? I'm trying to decide if doing research through NIH would be more useful than doing research at any other research institute (such as a university)...

I guess when I say useful... I'm wondering if NIH would look better on my app than other positions...

if i could get any input on this, that would be great!! Thanks, guys!! :)
Hi twinkiee,
There are a lot of threads in this forum on this subject, but to sum it up for you, I think doing research is a good idea, and there might be a few advantages to doing that research at NIH. First of all, you are surrounded by other post-baccs your age, so there are social activities arranged and a lot of opportunities to meet other people. Secondly, you are surrounded by experts in pretty much EVERY field, so even if you arent working on what you are passionate about, you have tons of opportunities to attend lectures and classes about the subject. And also, the NIH gets ALOT of funding, so there really arent many budget restrictions (with the exception of the end of the FY). As you can see, I have really enjoyed my time here, but let me tell you as a heads up that not everyone has a great time here. It really all depends on your PI and the project that you are assigned to. So while I would definitely recommend coming to NIH, only do so if you think you will like what you are doing. Oh and as a bonus, I think it does stand out alittle on your resume:)
Good luck and PM if you have Q's!

I agree with the last poster. Also, if your science GPA is not so hot, there is a grad school here on campus. FAES website: www.faes.org So, you could take some science courses to bring it up. The courses are ridiculously cheap too, i think like $400 each. If you are even thinking of doing the IRTA program I would get your app in ASAP just to get it in the system. Also, some of my friends here are now leaving for medical school and they said that the NIH was the focus of many of their interviews, it certainly looks good on the application.

Jim

thanks for the quick replies! :)...

i just have a few more questions :D

how did you go about picking your lab?
how hard is it to get a job through the program?