NIH Summer Research Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IIILucasIII

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been accepted to the National Institutes of Health Summer Internship in Biomedical Research at the main campus in Bethesda, Maryland. I was wondering where others who are accepted are going to be living or if past participants could tell me about their experience with housing. After searching the forums I found suggestions of American University and they offer summer housing only from May 8-29 for $310 a WEEK in one dorm and then from May 22-August 13 in a different dorm for $400 a WEEK. I don't know if that is a wise decision or not to do.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

EDIT: sorry I meant per week not per month...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I have been accepted to the National Institutes of Health Summer Internship in Biomedical Research at the main campus in Bethesda, Maryland. I was wondering where others who are accepted are going to be living or if past participants could tell me about their experience with housing. After searching the forums I found suggestions of American University and they offer summer housing only from May 8-29 for $310 a month in one dorm and then from May 22-August 13 in a different dorm for $400 a month. I don't know if that is a wise decision or not to do.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
$400 A MONTH FOR HOUSING IN NW DC? Theres got to be a catch to that

American University is in a good part of DC, do you have to be a student at AU to get that price? Im honestly going to look to cancel my lease early and move on over there for the summer

To answer your question directly OP, thats a great price, especially since I imagine it covers utilities. AU takes the Tenleytown metro, so you are about ~30 minutes away from NIH on the red line, which is definitely worth it to live that close to the good parts of DC (I know someone splitting a house threeway in tenleytown for a $1000 month each)

Reactions: 1 users
All housing announcements for and by NIH trainees occur through ClubPCR. Make a yahoo account (I know, yahoo is stupid) and send an email request to join to this email: clubpcr-subscribe@yahoogroups. There will be many posts from people like me leaving the NIH at the end of May who will be subletting through the end of July/August.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found my place through samslist (http://nih.samslist.us/), and am extremely happy with where I am. The site has an explicit focus on people working for the federal government. Subscribing to clubpcr can be a bit annoying because there's so much random stuff on their listserv that can be hard to wade through.

I'd be stunned if those prices were for the general public and not just AU students.

If you can afford it, I would try to live somewhere near (if not in) DC, near a metro stop. DC is a great city to live, explore, and have fun in - especially during the summer.

It's really personal preference, IMO. If you're not the type to go out at night, etc... it might behoove you (and your wallet) to live near NIH/north of Bethesda and just walk to work.

EDIT: And if those prices are for the general public, lemme know ASAP Rocky so I can move in for the summer.

it might behoove you (and your wallet) to live near NIH/north of Bethesda and just walk to work.

Bethesda is no NYC/SF...but living within walking distance of the NIH isn't exactly going to be cheap.

Reactions: 1 user
EDIT: Sorry for the confusion I meant to say a week not a month... My bad

Bethesda is no NYC/SF...but living within walking distance of the NIH isn't exactly going to be cheap.
It's also boring. And a fairly difficult place to live without a car. If you can find something in DC for a comparable price I would take it 10 times out of 10. It's not like anyone expects summer IRTAs to get anything done - might as well sacrifice convenience for fun and use your morning commute to nap

Hey! I interned at the NIH last year and lived at AU. I'm also going to be returning this year and am probably going to move back into the AU dorms. Many places you are going to find will be around this amount because DC is an expensive area. AU is three stops away from Medical Center, which is where the main gate to NIH is, and it is very safe to walk to the metro from the dorms very early in the morning. (My department had an early schedule so I had to leave the dorms before the AU shuttle could drop me off at the metro station.) It's a 20 minute walk and it's in a very nice/safe area. The main headquarters for Homeland Security and the Japanese Embassy are there. Right next to the Tenleytown metro station, there is a Whole Foods, CVS, and many other stores and restaurants. Although dorms have their ups and downs, in the end I really enjoyed living at the college for the summer because I was also able to meet other interns, both at the NIH and outside. My friend group is still really close and we talk a lot although we all live in separate states. Also, there are many interns on the Hill and they can get you VIP access to events such as the 4th of July Capitol Concert. It just was a great way to allow me to meet other interns and form great connections. I heard that some labs can get pretty lonely because you are the only intern so I highly recommend trying to attend to the OITE events throughout the summer. But it's a great opportunity and you will enjoy every minute of it! :D Which institute will you be interning for?

Last edited:
I was an IRTA for some time,

I'd suggest Moco for affordability,Or head down to DC for fun. The metro system isn't great but it absolutely works

Hi, I am a resident at Washington Hospital Center. I have a studio apartment for sublease until July 31st in Silver Spring Downtown. Please message me if you are interested. Rent is 1300 per month ( which is negotiable)