NJ Resident - Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buttermellow24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just heard about this forum and wanted some feedback on my chances so far for osteopathic school. I graduated with a biochemistry degree from a small liberal arts college in three years. I am taking a year off from college to work at a well-known pharmaceutical company and to also get some volunteer experience at a nursing home. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.768
sGPA: 3.612
MCAT: I will get the score mid-August.

Extras:
-Shadowed DO for ~250 hours with lots of patient interaction
-Work as a laboratory assistant for 2 years at my college
-Have been working on undergrad research for 1.5 years
-Have high school research experience for 2 summers through ACS
-Became a paid counselor for high school program for three years
-Medical study abroad for 2 weeks in 3rd world country
-Language, math, science tutor for elementary school students for ~530 hours over the last 4.5 years
-On executive board of 3 clubs during college
-Student member of 1 National Honor Society and 2 science/research societies.

I don't have a lot of volunteering experience on my primary application but I am hoping to get some in during my year off and before secondaries come out. Please let me know what you guys think. I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT will be a big determinant, but the rest of your app looks good. Are you set for DO? If your MCAT is high enough (>28 at least) I would apply to some MDs as well. If it's >31 I would only apply to MDs. That's just me. If you really, really want to be a DO, then by all means only apply to DOs.

Your MCAT will be a big determinant, but the rest of your app looks good. Are you set for DO? If your MCAT is high enough (>28 at least) I would apply to some MDs as well. If it's >31 I would only apply to MDs. That's just me. If you really, really want to be a DO, then by all means only apply to DOs.

Really does depend on how you do on your MCAT at this point. Although I would still apply DO regardless of your MCAT if you are interested in osteopathic medicine. Also leaves you space to decide when you start getting acceptances. You will also be able to see the campus and get a feel for the different schools.

All depends on how you do on that MCAT. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my MCAT score back and I am really, really disappointed in myself. I got a 23 with a break down of 8VR/8PS/7BS. I know this is not where I should be at all but there are no other dates I can register for near me. Realistically, what are my chances of getting into at least one school. I sent in my application to the following schools:

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in Nevada
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Oregon

I would say you have a chance at the schools you listed. At this point you should probably just roll the dice.

It might be somewhat late to submit your AACOMAS to other schools, in which case I think you'd have a much better chance.

Hey you have the exact same school list as me!!!

I think with your higher than average GPA you should be fine to get interviews and at least a couple acceptances.

Good luck!

I would say you have a chance at the schools you listed. At this point you should probably just roll the dice.

It might be somewhat late to submit your AACOMAS to other schools, in which case I think you'd have a much better chance.
Thank you so much for the hope! I've been in a depressing stupor since my scores came out. I know its a little late, but what schools would you recommend adding?

I'm pretty similar in stats to you +2 on the mcat but -0.1 on the gpa. I'm a nj resident too actually.

I would try to apply to as many schools as you can if you're able to.

For starters I would add:
LMU DCOM, ACOM, WVSOM, MUCOM, VCOM both campuses,

Hey you have the exact same school list as me!!!

I think with your higher than average GPA you should be fine to get interviews and at least a couple acceptances.

Good luck!
Awesome! Maybe we will end up at the same school.

Good luck :]

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in Nevada

University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Oregon

Remove these. I would also consider removing DMU, Bradenton, PCOM, and RVU as their MCAT averages are 28+. add these- KCOM, KCUMB, SOMA, VCOM's, LMU, CUSOM, ACOM, WVSOM.

you should still have more than enough interviews to get in.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I really need some advice. The 2014 MCAT dates are going to open soon and I am not sure I should re-take them. I got invitations to secondaries to most of the schools I've applied to. I know my score is pitiful but if I do re-take them, it would be in January which is only 3 months away and since I am working full time, I won't be able to study the way I want. Should I re-take? Can I get into at least one school with my current stats? Please help!!