NMR help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiny529

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I've got a problem here that I'm having a lot of trouble with...

Below are the 1H and 13C NMR spectra of a dichloroalkane. Analyze the spectra and propose a structure consistent with the data. Provide a COGENT explanation outlining how you arrived at the proposed structure (the NMR's are at the bottom... It's problem #5).

nat004.jpg

My problem is that I can easily make a structure that matches one or the other spectra, but I can't seem to make one that matches both.

My best answer is 3,3-dichloro-2-methylpentane, but that still doesn't match what I think the C NMR peaks show.

Members don't see this ad.

Your structure seems right on, as for the C13 NMR, if you look closely there seems to be another additional peak at approximately 60ppm. In general when I look at a C13 NMR for an alkane I tend to only use it for the amount of carbons present to reinforce the structure given by the H-NMR. The only big inconsistency that worries me about the H-NMR is the obscure peak within what looks like the quartet making me think their might be another variant of a hydrogen present.