No Filters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dermguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the very polite rejection letter I recently received from Michigan, the PD said they used "no filters." Do you guys & gals really believe that no filters were used? I'm skeptical.

Obviously we can only speculate, but I think there must be at least an unofficial filter such as a reviewer thinking, "This person got a 180 on Step 1. Maybe I won't go through the rest of this application," followed by a sound of paper hitting the bottom of the trash can.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

They say on their website:

USMLE Part 1 scores are considered, as well as Part 2 and Part 3 scores when available. Based on past years, candidates with USMLE Step 1 board scores below 220 are unlikely to receive an interview. :(

that sounds like some sort of screen to me, huh?

They do say specifically:
We do not screen on a candidate's AOA status.

Honestly, they can say whatever they want. Nobody can prove otherwise.

Ask yourself...why wouldn't they filter?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you're a program like Michigan in the top 5 dermatology programs, you can take only MD/PhD's every year.

I didn't sweat their rejection too hard...its crazy cold up there, Ann Arbor is super pricey, their economy sucks, and their football is losing to MAC teams.

I'm a nobody and i got an invite.

I think its random who gets an interview versus who doesn't at any one program. Maybe your letter writer knows somebody. Or maybe your personal statement caught somebody's eye, or your research, or even your name.

Its all random. I get one invite and the next one I'll miss out on. Who knows what drives this crazy process? Beyond good grades and an honest attempt at research, what can you do?

Filter is a relative word, and I imagine just because a program doesn't "filter" does not mean they have to read every line on every application.

Anyhow, geography is probably a big relative filter, especially for midwest programs. I keep telling myself that to ease the pain of the umich rejection :rolleyes:

I don't get it. Is the midwest so notorious for not interviewing non-midwesterners because they know they won't come? Why wouldn't Michigan take their pick of the best applicants?

I don't get it. Is the midwest so notorious for not interviewing non-midwesterners because they know they won't come? Why wouldn't Michigan take their pick of the best applicants?

Yes.

I'm not sure how much geography plays a role but it may be an improtant factor. I do not live in the midwest and am not a top applicant by a long shot so I think perhaps letters have something to do with it.

Also, if you live in cali or texas or Florida (someplace really warm with a coast). Why would you abandon it all and move to live in the icy cold (although there are "coasts" in michagan = the great lakes). Also the cultures may be different (liberal versus ultra-conservative).

Also, if you live in cali or texas or Florida (someplace really warm with a coast). Why would you abandon it all and move to live in the icy cold (although there are "coasts" in michagan = the great lakes).

If a mid west program grants a warm climate/coaster an interview, this question will definately come up.

Also the cultures may be different (liberal versus ultra-conservative).

I don't know about Michigan being ultra-conservative. They have long been blue. In fact, most of the big cities in the mid-west cruise in the left lane.