No financial aid, no dream? :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alakipalaki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a graduate student last summer and used financial aid to pay for my tuition. Last September, I became a post back student at my a local state university to take the prerequisite classes for medical school. Today I was informed that I am not eligible for any more financial aid until Fall of 2015. I am devastated. If I can't obtain financial aid, that will be the end of the line for me. It is a shame because I am doing really well in my classes and I only need to find support for only a year or so.

Has anybody been in a similar situation before?

Members don't see this ad.

So now it's time to either get some loans, or work a few years, save some money, and then go back to school.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!

I was a graduate student last summer and used financial aid to pay for my tuition. Last September, I became a post back student at my a local state university to take the prerequisite classes for medical school. Today I was informed that I am not eligible for any more financial aid until Fall of 2015. I am devastated. If I can't obtain financial aid, that will be the end of the line for me. It is a shame because I am doing really well in my classes and I only need to find support for only a year or so.

Reactions: 1 users
That's an odd policy. At the many universities where I took postbacc courses, summer class financial aid belonged to the academic year preceding it and wouldn't impact the following year's financial aid.
Some thoughts:
- Are you registering as a degree-seeking undergraduate? This is necessary at many schools to receive maximum aid, even if you aren't degree seeking. This is what I was instructed to do by the academic advisors and financial aid advisors at the schools where I did my postbacc. At the one school where I didn't register as a degree-seeking student, my tuition was higher and my financial aid was lower.
- Different universities have different financial aid policies, even within the same state. If you have other instate options, talk to their financial aid departments.
- If you can't work out the federal financial aid loans, take out private loans. You'll need a credit-worthy cosigner though, which not everyone has.
- There's always credit cards. I proudly hold a $10k credit card balance - proudly because it got me into medical school (and I'm making my minimum payments, of course).
- But in the end, if you'll start getting loans again next fall, it won't be the end of the world if you can't resume classes till then. You can just work and volunteer until then, building other parts of your app.

Members don't see this ad :)

its probably because you're not a "degree seeking student" in a post bac program. I honestly had to use some private loans and scholarships from the school to get by. Is it a formal post bac program? If so see if there is any financial aid you can apply for through them.

its probably because you're not a "degree seeking student" in a post bac program. I honestly had to use some private loans and scholarships from the school to get by. Is it a formal post bac program? If so see if there is any financial aid you can apply for through them.

I was in the same boat, since I wasn't a "degree seeking student" I wasn't eligible for any student loans.

Thank you everybody. I'm seeking a degree as my undergrad degree is not from a US accredited school and most med schools require an undergrad degree from a US accredited school.

I'm going to call other schools in my area next week to see if they have an answer for my problem.

@ Dr. Goro, I'm quite the "nontraditional" student and therefore, time is of the essence for me. Wish I had the luxury of time!