No longer able to submit USMLE scores to AOA programs through ERAS - why the change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LedZepp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It appears as though the AAMC has implemented a policy change this year (2016 application cycle) whereby DO students applying to the NMS match through ERAS can no longer submit their USMLE transcripts to AOA programs. The MyERAS user manual explicitly states that the "USMLE transcript can only be assigned to ACGME-accredited programs" and I can confirm this through my own experience as I am unable to "assign" my USMLE transcript to DO programs saved in my ERAS account. My understanding is that this wasn't the case in the past, and USMLE transcripts could be submitted to both AOA and ACGME programs through ERAS.

So what gives? I can't imagine why this change was implemented and I haven't been able to find any information about it (I checked the AAMC website, SDN, google etc). Does anyone have any insight on this?

My concern is that I did poorly on COMLEX level 1 but did significantly better on USMLE step 1 (long story as to why the discrepancy) and was banking on the high step 1 score to get me interviews. Now it seems as though I'll be filtered out of most interview invites because these AOA program directors will only have access to my COMLEX score. This is awful for me!

Members don't see this ad.

Its because DO programs don't care about USMLE, just like most ACGME programs dont care about COMLEX. Its apples to apples vs oranges to apples. I don't know why the change, but its pretty logical. Talking with some admin at Dr's hospital in gen surg and EM neither program cares about USMLE and it even seemed like if you had it they wondered if you were committed to osteopathic education.

Reactions: 1 user
Talking with some admin at Dr's hospital in gen surg and EM neither program cares about USMLE and it even seemed like if you had it they wondered if you were committed to osteopathic education.

This kind of territorial, us vs. them, has to go. I hate hearing stories like this.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would challenge the idea that DO programs don't care about the USMLE. This has been widely discussed on SDN in the past (for example: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/do-aoa-residency-pds-care-about-the-usmle.994684/). There are valid arguments on both sides and it's probably best to avoid that debate on this thread, but it still doesn't make sense to me that they would make the change from having the option to submit your USMLE score to not being able to at all. I mean what is the harm in having another performance measure? The only rationale I can think of is that the AOA wants to discourage DO students from taking the USMLE, since a greater proportion of them have been taking step 1 every year.

This kind of territorial, us vs. them, has to go. I hate hearing stories like this.
Its the game we signed up for. In a few years after the merger hopefully talks continue to make 1 unified exam... But it makes sense for the time being, 80-90% of applicants just report their complex, so why should PDs be forced to compare usmle vs comlex. Its not that straight forward.

Its the game we signed up for. In a few years after the merger hopefully talks continue to make 1 unified exam... But it makes sense for the time being, 80-90% of applicants just report their complex, so why should PDs be forced to compare usmle vs comlex. Its not that straight forward.
They aren't forced to compare them though. AOA programs are still getting the COMLEX scores. It's just another data point which they could ignore, or read whatever they wanted into it. It is a little silly for those of us that have taken it to not even be able to put it on the application.

Reactions: 3 users
They aren't forced to compare them though. AOA programs are still getting the COMLEX scores. It's just another data point which they could ignore, or read whatever they wanted into it. It is a little silly for those of us that have taken it to not even be able to put it on the application.
Forget them. Just think about how many awesome students they're losing forever bc of their games of distinction. Never looking back...

Reactions: 2 users
So, does anyone know how this will affect dual programs? If you're applying to a dually-accredited program through the NMS match, can you submit USMLE scores? Or would you have to apply through the NRMP match to submit them? Major pain if it's the latter.

Forget them. Just think about how many awesome students they're losing forever bc of their games of distinction. Never looking back...
Yup. I did just have to sit through the travesty of a test named COMLEX Level 2 CE today. USMLE Step 2 was last week. Level 2 PE coming up in August. As long as all of those went ok - I won't have a dog in this fight at all as my applications are somehow going to be finding their way to strictly ACGME programs.

Yup. I did just have to sit through the travesty of a test named COMLEX Level 2 CE today. USMLE Step 2 was last week. Level 2 PE coming up in August. As long as all of those went ok - I won't have a dog in this fight at all as my applications are somehow going to be finding their way to strictly ACGME programs.
Amen to that brother! Keep on knocking em down!

So, does anyone know how this will affect dual programs? If you're applying to a dually-accredited program through the NMS match, can you submit USMLE scores? Or would you have to apply through the NRMP match to submit them? Major pain if it's the latter.
You can't submit your USMLE scores through the NMS match, even for dually-accredited programs. You would have to apply through the NRMP match to submit them, but many programs that I've spoken to only match their DO applicants through the NMS match and reserve the NRMP match for MD applicants - best to call the programs you're interested in and find out if that's what they do.

If you have an application on file through both matches, I imagine there is a chance they would see your USMLE scores if they make the connection. Otherwise you have to hope your COMLEX gets you the interview and you can mention your USMLE scores then.

Reactions: 1 users
That is pretty stupid they won't look at them...

This is just another reason, however, why the pervasive attitude on this site to blow off COMLEX compared to USMLE needs to change.

This is ****ing stupid! Why would you not be able to show all the evaluation factors that you want.

If they dont want to take USMLE into account, they dont have to. They can ignore it on their end!

While I have not taken either, this makes things a lot harder for people with low COMLEX and high USMLE scores.

Its because DO programs don't care about USMLE, just like most ACGME programs dont care about COMLEX. Its apples to apples vs oranges to apples. I don't know why the change, but its pretty logical. Talking with some admin at Dr's hospital in gen surg and EM neither program cares about USMLE and it even seemed like if you had it they wondered if you were committed to osteopathic education.
What is osteopathic education?

This is ****ing stupid! Why would you not be able to show all the evaluation factors that you want.

If they dont want to take USMLE into account, they dont have to. They can ignore it on their end!

While I have not taken either, this makes things a lot harder for people with low COMLEX and high USMLE scores.

Exactly. I'm thinking it will be a pain for people interested in dual-accredited programs. Many of these programs for whatever reason have comparitevely higher cutoffs for the COMLEX than they do for the USMLE. Say 550 and 220. Students with say 530 and and a 227 would be forced to apply for these residencies in the NRMP match.

This new policy will have the exact opposite of its intended effect. It will cause students to further avoid the NMS match and aim for the NRMP match.