no LOR from an MD.. should I worry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have several letters from PhDs, but haven't been able to acquire any from MDs. Will this be a glaring hole in my secondary application?

Also: what is the proper way to ask a doctor if you can shadow him/her? Show up at the hospital and just ask? Or go through a volunteer program?

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO, no, it will not hurt as long as the other LOR's can attest strongly to your character/desire to go into medicine. I had 3 recs, and only one from a PhD in science. The others were from musicians! I also was pretty successful throughout the entire process. A strong MD letter from a notable doctor, however, would certainly aid your application--but the lack of one, I believe, does not "hurt" your application.

As far as shadowing, talk to doctors that you know personally, or go through a program.

firebird69guy said:
Also: what is the proper way to ask a doctor if you can shadow him/her? Show up at the hospital and just ask? Or go through a volunteer program?

I would just use the shootgun email method. One MD will reply to you, just make sure you email them individually so they can't see that you just email all of his friends too :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Unlike DO schools, MD schools don't require that you have an MD letter.

Most schools prefer two sci professors, one nonsci, and then character letters.

Character letters are defined as letters by peers, research advisors, job supervisors, MDs, etc. etc. that may know you real well and can attest to how hard working you and your personal traits.

USF, for instance, requires 2 character letters.

Stronger letters from a supervisor or person who has seen you in action are better then a weaker letter from an MD who barely knows you.

gujuDoc said:
No. Unlike DO schools, MD schools don't require that you have an MD letter.

Most schools prefer two sci professors, one nonsci, and then character letters.

Character letters are defined as letters by peers, research advisors, job supervisors, MDs, etc. etc. that may know you real well and can attest to how hard working you and your personal traits.

USF, for instance, requires 2 character letters.

Stronger letters from a supervisor or person who has seen you in action are better then a weaker letter from an MD who barely knows you.

Speaking from experience as a former member of my alma mater's committee, the best letters are the ones that are personal and from people who really know you. One applicant worked on a lobster boat and had the lobster boat captain write him a letter - it was a bit unconventional, but it said a lot more about him and gave me more information than if he had a letter from a famous MD that hardly knew him.

firebird69guy said:
Seconding this question, though I should note I have no intentions of netting a LOR from it. It may complicate matters, but in the best case, I'd like to shadow a neurosurgeon.