No non-clinical research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmkay103

Reaction score
How screwed am I if the only research I've done is:

1. Computational research on viral protein in plant virus
2. Biochemistry wet lab research on viral protein in same plant virus

I also don't have any publications and most likely wont get one, just ~6 poster presentations at various symposiums and poster sessions at my school. GPA is 3.9, haven't taken MCAT yet (ik this is a major determining factor), I go to a large state school, moderate clinical experience & leadership experience. My dream school is UVA. Will not having clinical research set me back significantly?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need clinical research, your research is fine

Reactions: 3 users
Any research is better than none

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any research experience is excellent. Just make sure you can talk about it in a meaningful way that ties into why you want to be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user

I also don't have any publications and most likely wont get one, just ~6 poster presentations at various symposiums and poster sessions at my school. GPA is 3.9, haven't taken MCAT yet (ik this is a major determining factor), I go to a large state school, moderate clinical experience & leadership experience. My dream school is UVA. Will not having clinical research set me back significantly?
I research a chloroplast-localized microcompartment that most people in basic biology, let alone medicine, have never heard of. In my case this ended up being the best possible path because I mesh well with the lab culture and have a very high degree of independence that has really allowed me to develop as a researcher.

The quality of your experience is more important than the actual subject matter

I did not have any research and was accepted but I had lots of work experience in various clinics and an urgent care where I was a scribe.

Dude chill, this is a nothingburger. You don't even technically NEED any research if you're ok with low-tier schools, although of course it's better to have it. You're fine, case closed, have a good night :)

As long as you're not applying to research-oriented schools, your fine.

You're fine

I don't have clinical research and landed 4 IIs from T20 schools so far. You are fine. Just make sure the "other stuffs" are very good.

I'd worry more about the moderate clinical experience and the fact you don't mention community service at all that I can see.

Research is a nice bonus but not required for many schools, clinical experience and solid community service are required everywhere.