No sciene letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkpredent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-science major and have only taken the usual bio/gen/orgo/physics classes. The classes were huge (around 600 kids) and though I occasionally went to office hours, I never made a big impression on the professors (various reasons, but mainly I worked so much that I just didn't have time to go to campus wait in line and what not, just to get a quick answer. Anyway, the professors will only write a letter if you did fantastically in the class. I've had around a B+ average in these classes with a couple of A-'s so they basically all said they were sorry but its not their policy. My school does have a committee letter, and I submitted very positive letters from a research adviser (psychology study) the dentist I worked with and the head of the masters program for psychology (my major). However, I'm really at a loss about a science letter. Should I take extra science courses, as I'm taking a lag year? What would be your advice in this situation? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools require letters from science professors and some do not. Check with the school to be certain.

I actually think most schools require science LOR's. Many specify 1 from chem and 1 from bio. First on my list would be explaining the situation to profs you have already taken. It would be great if you didn't need to take more classes just for a LOR. If they won't write one, I would then contact the schools I was interested in applying to and asking advice on your LOR situation. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
my main choice would be nyu, which specifies either one committee letter or at least 2 sciences. I have the committee letter, it was just written without any sciences. I know that at least for my school, they send the committee letter with the outside letters of recommendation, so even though I fulfill the requirement via the committee letter, they are still aware that I did not get any sciences. And as for 2, theres just not way I can get two, I can't even get one!

my main choice would be nyu, which specifies either one committee letter or at least 2 sciences. I have the committee letter, it was just written without any sciences. I know that at least for my school, they send the committee letter with the outside letters of recommendation, so even though I fulfill the requirement via the committee letter, they are still aware that I did not get any sciences. And as for 2, theres just not way I can get two, I can't even get one!

I misread your original post...I thought your school did not do a committee letter. You may be OK with most schools then as many say they will accept a committee letter in lieu of 2 science letters. Call the schools to make sure that its ok your committee letter says contains no science letters, but I think it may work out for you.