No, seriously, can I make it into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbdjbdjbd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Previous thread censored for violating forum language rules.)

Situation: I've been an academic screwup for a long time. Started UG (top private) years ago, had too many withdrawals, was made to leave for a year, cleaned up for a few good terms, then crashed again. Still haven't finished degree. I have several grades below a C. GPA is 3.0, haven't done science prereqs yet (no MCAT, shadowing, volunteering, or research yet either). Should I even bother trying to turn it all around?

My plan right now is to finish my non-science degree, graduate a few years late, and then go from there. But I'm not sure the best post-bac program in the world could get me into a US med school ...

Am I resigned to a life of mediocrity? Clearly in the past I've been lazy and had mental issues, so I couldn't be a med student let alone doctor then. The thing is, I'm not sure I can get any non-dead end job at this point.

Tactical question: If I were to stick it out, should I do my science classes at my expensive private school and be a conventional, though older, college premed? Or should I go ahead and graduate and do it as a postbac?

Strategic Q: can I make it into a DO school at all, or is it Caribbean only for me?

Thank you all for your patience in advance; I've searched a bit yet no other threads are quite like mine. If there are, please link me.

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools have a grade forgiveness policy. If you retake the classes where you earned poor grades, they only count the most recent grade in your application GPA, provided the credit hours are the same or greater. You need not retake at the same school.

You won't get into a formal postbac program unless your transcript shows a dramatic and consistent turnaround. If you need to get your head together by taking some time off from school, then do so. Get the counseling you need. Because once you start down the premed path, another blip in the academic road will not look good.

I can't tell you if you "should bother trying to turn it around." I can only reassure you that if you have a fire in the belly to be a physician, then it's still possible it could happen, if you put time, effort, and money into the redemptive process.

There's no reason this can't happen at a cheaper state school rather than the current expensive one.

If you have the desire and truly believe you are going to practice medicine one day, then you owe it to yourself to turn it around and try. Don't ever give up on something that you want... It's your back that's in a corner, you can curl up and take the beating or come out swinging.

Obstacle will come and it is your responsibility to deal with them. My advice would be to transfer to a cheaper school, retake all of your mandatory sciences courses, earn a solid GPA (especially your sGPA) and apply to DO schools with it.

I just hope you don't have a criminal record (your bio said you went through some rough times and I don't know what they were). If you do, I would see if you can even become a physician.

Thanks ... no crim record or academic dishonesty ... just a slacker with vague depressive issues.

How long do I have to work to turn it around? I'm 25 now and I'd rather not be totally broke for all my courtship years ... would suck to be an unmarriageable old doctor.