No Strategy for Verbal Reasoning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southern_Weather

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN,
I've been studying for the MCAT for the past couple of months now and when I took my first AAMC practice test (just to assess where I was at), I scored an 8 on verbal. I took a few more practice tests after that and made 9s and 10s consistently. I am now using EK101 as daily practice. I frequently see posts about different strategies in regard to approaching verbal and it seems like everyone is using some kind of strategy, except for myself. I use absolutely no strategy. I simply read the passage (giving myself no more than 3 1/2 minutes) and then answer the questions (overall usually takes 6-8 minutes per passage). And so far I have been improving from practice alone. My questions is whether this is usual or should I actually be employing a strategy?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing the same thing and I scored a 12 on AAMC 3 with 6 minutes to spare at the end. I had no strategy when I scored 61% on the Verbal SA last month and I still have no strategy. The difference is I've learned how AAMC likes to ask questions. There is definitely an element of getting a " feel " for the question style that results in better scores.

yeah, I always have read people be like I changed my strategy now im score 5 points higher. I dont know how that is even possible, its not like theres some way to increase comprehension? I just read and answer also while timing. and think about the main idea for 10 seconds after I read the passage. Thats my strategy. And if ur gettting 8-10 your good.