Non-academic job prospects for health policy PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohlivia489

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have an MPH and work at a local health department. I've gotten really interested in health policy issues, and am considering a health policy PhD. However, I'm a little unsure of what the job prospects would really be like. I have a few friends who got health policy PhDs, and they work for insurance companies which I'm really not interested in, or they work in DC, which I'm also not interested in.

I don't really want to pursue academia at this point, though I wouldn't fully rule it out. I'd be most interested in working for a health department, nonprofit, or potentially a hospital, either doing research in that capacity, or holding some sort of leadership position. I'd be interested in looking at the burdens our current system places on people's ability to access healthcare and how to improve upon them.

My current boss has a PhD (in health promotion though) and I plan to discuss this with her next week, but I was wondering if there's any knowledge on SDN on this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.