Non-clinical volunteering & non-profit employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emh_omega-323

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all! I'm a very non-traditional student (will be 10 yrs out of undergrad when I apply). I do have at least 1,000 hours non-clinical volunteering back in 2017 directly with those less fortunate than myself but I know this is old. I have also spent the better part of the last 10 years working in non-profits, some in direct service and some in advocacy. I'm wondering how adcoms will view this and if I need more non-clinical volunteering.

On the one hand I hope that dedicating the last decade of my life to various causes shows I'm committed to service. How much does it matter that I was paid and do I still "tick the box?" If I need to pick up more non-clinical volunteering now I definitely will, but I suppose my concern has been that I will have so many different experiences on my activities section that I will appear scattered.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi y'all! I'm a very non-traditional student (will be 10 yrs out of undergrad when I apply). I do have at least 1,000 hours non-clinical volunteering back in 2017 directly with those less fortunate than myself but I know this is old. I have also spent the better part of the last 10 years working in non-profits, some in direct service and some in advocacy. I'm wondering how adcoms will view this and if I need more non-clinical volunteering.

On the one hand I hope that dedicating the last decade of my life to various causes shows I'm committed to service. How much does it matter that I was paid and do I still "tick the box?" If I need to pick up more non-clinical volunteering now I definitely will, but I suppose my concern has been that I will have so many different experiences on my activities section that I will appear scattered.

Any thoughts?
This will be viewed favorably.

Reactions: 1 users
If you could explain exactly what you did, it might give me a bit more insight how adcoms might view it. Because you spent so much time post-graduation on this cause, you probably will get some credit depending on what you did.

The first chunk of my employment history is in environmental education with kids, the second chunk in human rights advocacy/lobbying. The non-clinical volunteering is in humanitarian aid (food, water, medical aid) to migrants on the US/Mexico border.
I've bounced around a lot and also worked in the travel industry where jobs are meant to be short term. But I think I've got a pretty strong story as to how I ended up in medicine and will have 2 years fully devoted to it by the time I apply.