Non-derm electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qw098

zyzzbrah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a little bit of freedom with my M3 elective rotations. I already have a few confirmed derm electives. I was wondering what other non-derm electives that are derm-like one would recommend rotating in?

I already have a rheum rotation confirmed for later in the year.

I've heard others mention hematology... but really?!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Path
Rad Onc
Occupational health

Think outside the box, do something you like

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some path electives. Good hours, probably no call as a student, lots of free time to read other more derm-related things. The pathologists would like it do: it'd be nice for path departments to have bright students rotate through for a change, rather than really dumb FMGs hovering around to show face.

In addition to the ones listed above, I'd recommend plastics. It was a great experience because I learned a lot about flaps and grafts, the art of dealing with cosmetic patients, and liposuction. Also, while my home derm department didn't teach/let med students shadow anything cosmetic, the plastics department didn't care. During my rotation, I was happy to spend the afternoons with attendings doing fillers in clinic while the students going into surgery got to scrub into the 10 hour reconstruction cases.

Ok thanks all. I forgot to mention I already have a path elective confirmed as well. Path and rheum confirmed.

I'll look into the others mentioned. Neat stuff about plastics

Honestly- I would recommend doing a non-derm elective that has little to do with derm. You'll have 3 years of residency training to learn all of these things in detail from the perspective of a dermatologist (not a plastic surgeon, hem/onc or rheum). 3rd/4th year of medical school are often one of your last chances to explore medicine and just have fun. Just my thought.

Honestly- I would recommend doing a non-derm elective that has little to do with derm. You'll have 3 years of residency training to learn all of these things in detail from the perspective of a dermatologist (not a plastic surgeon, hem/onc or rheum). 3rd/4th year of medical school are often one of your last chances to explore medicine and just have fun. Just my thought.

Agree with everyone else so far. Tailor it to what you think you'd enjoy in derm:

Interested in complex medical derm? Rheum

Contact derm? Allergy

Misdiagnosing rashes (kidding kidding)? ID

Dermpath? Path

Cutaneous oncology? Radiation oncology or even heme/onc

Surgical dermatology? Plastics/ENT

But I'd agree most with the last post, plenty of time to explore derm as a resident, pick something different that you think you'd like to try (I enjoyed my anesthesia rotation a lot more than I expected)