Non-profit vs Private Practice or both

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMFT815

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently a graduate student in the marriage and family therapy program.So everyome knows when you're in the Psychology field you need alot of experience. So I am a Graduate Assistant. And I have class at night. I need to do a internship for my program So I accepted a placement at this non-profit organization. But I have this professor who would like me to intern at her private practice. That would be amazing for my resume, and I think I would really stand out with non-profit experience and private practice experience. However my schedule would be packed Monday-Saturday.
I would do my intern in the day time Monday and Tuesday morning, class those nights. Wednesday I would work and have class. Thursday I would work and do my internship. And then Friday and Saturday I would do the private practice work. also working Friday morning.

Everyone wants me to be careful of doing too much. But I'm someone who really can't pass up an opportunity. Does this sound like too much?? Could it be doable?? If not is there one that may look better on a resume than the other.

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say what's too much for any individual person. It's doable if you think it's doable. If you're not sure, try it. What's the worst thing that can happen?

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to say what's too much for any individual person. It's doable if you think it's doable. If you're not sure, try it. What's the worst thing that can happen?

Sure, why not? Of course, I wouldn't take on more patients than you can handle. Think about your academic schedule and nonprofit work, both now and over the rest of the school year, and create a schedule that makes sense based on that.

When I was in my master's program, I juggled classes, field placement, research work, leadership roles, and regularly attended conferences and events. Most people I knew didn't desire that level of activity and only stuck to classes and field placement. For me though it was a good fit and I enjoyed the work. If you love what you do and can handle it, go for it!