non-science faculty LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicago88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When schools say that they require a letter from a non-science faculty, does it have to be a professor that has taught you?

Or, for example, can it be someone who is considered university faculty but they are the head of some sort of extracurricular organization... (and not a professor).

I get that it is probably better to have a professor, but in my personal case there is a faculty extracurricular member that I know very well who I know for sure will write me a great letter.. Would this suffice that requirement?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

pretty sure its a professor that taught you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to have to be a science prof that taught you so they can comment on your in class abilities. However, since this prof is also one of your EC related profs, you can definitely ask him/her to write a letter for you since schools take 6+ letters anyways. Can't go wrong.

When schools say that they require a letter from a non-science faculty, does it have to be a professor that has taught you?

Or, for example, can it be someone who is considered university faculty but they are the head of some sort of extracurricular organization... (and not a professor).

I get that it is probably better to have a professor, but in my personal case there is a faculty extracurricular member that I know very well who I know for sure will write me a great letter.. Would this suffice that requirement?

Thanks!

no, for the most part they want it from someone whos class you took. The LOR from someone who is only a faculty but you never took their classes would be very useful but it would not fill the requirement at 90% of schools. Best thing to do is ask each individual school you are applying too. This is what i did and 90% of the time they told me no.