Non-science letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kronos-

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My professor (from a non-science arts class) asked me to write my own letter of recommendation, but I am unsure of how to even start and what to include in the letter. His exact response to my recommendation letter request was "Yes, I would be glad to. Please write two or so paragraphs on yourself in the third person"

Any insight into what I should be writing about would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is not uncommon even among science facutly.
The AMCAS guideline listed above can help.
Self-reflect on what your professor may have seen or heard you do in class and in the assignments.

Do you participate in class discussions frequently? Do you participate less frequently but with something that sums up the discussion or moves it forward? Have you written papers that met the mark and for which you received high marks.? Have you asked for and been receptive to feedback? Have you demonstrated leadership in the classroom or collaboration in group projects? Have you attended office hours and/or gone beyond the assignments to delve deeper into the material?

Answers to the above are often what drives the non-science letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not uncommon even among science facutly.
The AMCAS guideline listed above can help.
Self-reflect on what your professor may have seen or heard you do in class and in the assignments.

Do you participate in class discussions frequently? Do you participate less frequently but with something that sums up the discussion or moves it forward? Have you written papers that met the mark and for which you received high marks.? Have you asked for and been receptive to feedback? Have you demonstrated leadership in the classroom or collaboration in group projects? Have you attended office hours and/or gone beyond the assignments to delve deeper into the material?

Answers to the above are often what drives the non-science letters.
Hello, thanks for the reply, Lizzy. One question - should I include stuff about my volunteering and clinical work in the letter? My professor isn't aware that I am involved with any of that stuff but I think it would be a valuable addition to the content of the letter. Then again, he would only be able to speak about my non-science/clinical aspects.

Hello, thanks for the reply, Lizzy. One question - should I include stuff about my volunteering and clinical work in the letter? My professor isn't aware that I am involved with any of that stuff but I think it would be a valuable addition to the content of the letter. Then again, he would only be able to speak about my non-science/clinical aspects.
A letter should only address what the writer has observed. The rest is filler. Your volunteering and clinical work will be addressed in the work & activities section of your AMCAS application.

Reactions: 1 user
A letter should only address what the writer has observed. The rest is filler. Your volunteering and clinical work will be addressed in the work & activities section of your AMCAS application.
Hello Lizzy,

Thanks for the comment, and sorry for replying so late. Would it be possible for you to read my writing and critique it?