Non-trad 3.3 gap with a weird work history. Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizzafan4lyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
First time poster, trying to feel out my chances and evaluate where I am right now in my pre med career. I'm a non-trad student. Lost my sister at 16, became super ill, and got a lot of guff from a private school from it. I used to be a 4.0 student, never had to try at getting good grades. Being ill dropped my high school GPA to a 3.0. Major self esteem blow. Got on the college bus and wasn't used to studying...partied a lot…. dealt with a lot of personal issues, dropped out, then did hair and makeup for a year before realizing I just didn't fit in with the sleazy people that tend to populate that industry. I knew I was smarter, had better morals, cared more about people, and didn't want to work my butt off for such low pay in a superficial and ego driven world. I got back into school about a year ago, and I'd really like to be a dermatologist and live in California, (I feel it would be a nice usage of some of my artistic abilities and cosmetology experience) but I have heard that its extremely competitive. I'm now a junior at WSU seeking a BS in biology, but still, my grades aren't the greatest. I don't want to stay in Michigan for school, its a depressing, bleak place. Trying really hard, buckling down and improving slowly, but old habits die hard…. looking at a 3.3 overall. Progress is on the up and up, but just seems like it might be too little too late. I've done research at the WSU school of medicine for a year, am starting a new research position that includes both patient contact and lab work in a low income community.Just got offered a position as a medical scribe. Any words of wisdom, advice, or help anyone can offer? I haven't taken my MCATs and have no idea how, when to take them. I've been going to school year round because I'm already 25 and would just like to get through as fast as possible. Kind of feeling the pressure of time closing in on me. I feel so lost because I don't know anyone who has a relatable story, don't really know how to make a plan of action, and the advisors are terrible at my school. I joined a few organizations, but they all give the same message: "unless you are flawless, give up, you will fail". Very discouraging, but I REALLY want to do this! I tend to be a "scanner" type person. I have a superficial understanding of many topics and tend to be interested in anything and everything. Any help or input would be appreciated!!

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!
First time poster, trying to feel out my chances and evaluate where I am right now in my pre med career. I'm a non-trad student. Lost my sister at 16, became super ill, and got a lot of guff from a private school from it. I used to be a 4.0 student, never had to try at getting good grades. Being ill dropped my high school GPA to a 3.0. Major self esteem blow. Got on the college bus and wasn't used to studying...partied a lot…. dealt with a lot of personal issues, dropped out, then did hair and makeup for a year before realizing I just didn't fit in with the sleazy people that tend to populate that industry. I knew I was smarter, had better morals, cared more about people, and didn't want to work my butt off for such low pay in a superficial and ego driven world. I got back into school about a year ago, and I'd really like to be a dermatologist and live in California, (I feel it would be a nice usage of some of my artistic abilities and cosmetology experience) but I have heard that its extremely competitive. I'm now a junior at WSU seeking a BS in biology, but still, my grades aren't the greatest. I don't want to stay in Michigan for school, its a depressing, bleak place. Trying really hard, buckling down and improving slowly, but old habits die hard…. looking at a 3.3 overall. Progress is on the up and up, but just seems like it might be too little too late. I've done research at the WSU school of medicine for a year, am starting a new research position that includes both patient contact and lab work in a low income community.Just got offered a position as a medical scribe. Any words of wisdom, advice, or help anyone can offer? I haven't taken my MCATs and have no idea how, when to take them. I've been going to school year round because I'm already 25 and would just like to get through as fast as possible. Kind of feeling the pressure of time closing in on me. I feel so lost because I don't know anyone who has a relatable story, don't really know how to make a plan of action, and the advisors are terrible at my school. I joined a few organizations, but they all give the same message: "unless you are flawless, give up, you will fail". Very discouraging, but I REALLY want to do this! I tend to be a "scanner" type person. I have a superficial understanding of many topics and tend to be interested in anything and everything. Any help or input would be appreciated!!

Thank you all!
You might feel more comfortable hanging out in SDN's Nontraditional Forum, where you can read the stories of many less-than-flawless folks you can identify with, older than you, who have had problems like yours, but have gone on to become competitive applicants to medical schools. It's here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/nontraditional-students.110/

My words of wisdom: Don't get overly involved in ECs until you nail down what it takes to earn high grades consistently. Spectacular ECs won't do you any good if you don't have high-enough stats that they are appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Slightly OT... I'm not sure that derm is as "artistic" as you're imagining it is, but perhaps I am wrong about what is in your head. In any case, derm is one of the most competitive specialties, so make sure you're entering medicine feeling OK with another concentration as a backup plan.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I might suggest as well - keep your identity anonymous... no reason to disparage your current school, city ... anddddd.... it is MCAT (no "s") :)

Reactions: 1 user
Slightly OT... I'm not sure that derm is as "artistic" as you're imagining it is, but perhaps I am wrong about what is in your head. In any case, derm is one of the most competitive specialties, so make sure you're entering medicine feeling OK with another concentration as a backup plan.

I would be okay with any concentration. I'm not speaking of it as "artistic" in the same way that a painter is "artistic" but obviously there is some application of aesthetics involved. Medicine in general is an art in my opinion.

I might suggest as well - keep your identity anonymous... no reason to disparage your current school, city ... anddddd.... it is MCAT (no "s") :)

Thanks for the lesson in grammar, but I would appreciate advice that is actually relevant to my post. I don't really care if someone finds out who I am, because I am an honest and forthright person and am not ashamed of my opinions and experiences, especially if they can help someone else in some way. If you put the time in to find me from a few bits of info, I guess you've earned it.

You might feel more comfortable hanging out in SDN's Nontraditional Forum, where you can read the stories of many less-than-flawless folks you can identify with, older than you, who have had problems like yours, but have gone on to become competitive applicants to medical schools. It's here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/nontraditional-students.110/

My words of wisdom: Don't get overly involved in ECs until you nail down what it takes to earn high grades consistently. Spectacular ECs won't do you any good if you don't have high-enough stats that they are appreciated.

Oops! I thought I had posted it in that group! Is there a way to move a thread? Thanks!

Hi @pizzafan4lyfe ,

First off, paragraphs are great. It's much easier to follow your train of thought that way.

1. Give me a little more info.. You have a 3.3 GPA. How many credits have you taken so far in college?

2. You are doing research? how much of a time commitment is that?

3. The scribe job is great experience.. BUT. Only take it if you can work and get straight As at the same time, because with a 3.3 GPA you need to really buckle down the next few years.

..Lastly, it sounds like you have earned yourself some good life experience in your 25 years. This will serve you well on your eventual application. I see no reason why you can't become a competitive applicant in a couple years time with some solid GPA improvement, a solid MCAT, and a continued commitment to the ECs you mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
Please. At 25, I still had a 1.37 gpa and most of my work experience had been at Starbucks. You aren't as bad off as you think.

Keep applying yourself. If you really want this, it will be worth the time and effort you need to invest to get there. Just keep chugging along, doing what you need to do.

Read the threads here. Dig deep and use the search function to find people who have asked questions similar to yours in the past. Not just this one, but each question that you think up. Someone, somewhere, has presented virtually the same scenario before, whatever it is. With about half a million user accounts, SDN has seen everything there is to see. The more time you spend reading these forums, the better informed you will be. You will find that not everyone was flawless or followed the traditional script.

Reactions: 1 users