Non-trad: 3.44 cGPA/3.30 sGPA/33Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajm422

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The AMCAS delay has me quite nervous and has afforded me some time to reflect on my application cycle. I posted a question in the Postbac forum with my info, here it is again, below. I'm considering withdrawing my AMCAS app and doing an SMP next year.

Non-traditional student, graduated 2009 with a double B.S. in math and engineering
3.44 cGPA/3.30 sGPA with a flat and slightly downward trend
33Q MCAT - May 2012
Extensive neuroscience research (non-clinical postbac IRTA at the NIH) with three major journal publications, one of those a co-first author.
Over 400 hours clinical volunteering
30 hours shadowing
Decent community service (which I'll be continuing through 2014)
2 excellent LORs from neuroscience PI and an M.D. from whom I took an endocrin class
3 presumably decent LORs from undergrad math professor, undergrad mechanical engineering professor, and clinical volunteering supervisor

Applied 2012-2013 cycle very late (submitted mid-August, secondaries in November) with zero interviews. I submitted my primaries on 7/17 this year and I am strongly, strongly considering withdrawing my application so that I can do it properly next year. I'm concerned about my application for the following reasons: (1) not much of a change from my 2012-2013 application, (2) late primary submission, (3) questionable LORs in terms of school-specific requirements.

I'm considering withdrawing my app and trying again next year, taking advantage of the committee letter at my undergraduate institution and submitting on June 2nd. I intend on taking a physiology evening course in the spring and asking for a letter of recommendation to guarantee at least one bona fide science LOR.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.