Non-trad 3.49 cGPA 28 MCAT CA resident, totally screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evenfloww

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I know I am very late in the cycle, but I would absolutely appreciate anyone's input.

- 3.49 cGPA from one of the top 20 universities in US that is known for its stingy GPA, and graduated with Honors in 2008.

- 28 MCAT (9P, 9V, 10P) in 2011, 26 MCAT (9P, 6V, 11B) in 2013... yeah totally f***ed up.

- 200+ of clinical volunteering oversees

- 100+ of shadowing

- 1 excellent LOR from the former employer/professor, 2 good LORs from old professors

- 1 publication for Cell (4th author)

- 3 years of research technician experience at the top research university (paid) + 1 year of student research in school (unpaid)

- CA resident, Asian female

- disadvantaged background (poor, abused)

I applied in 2011 to about 10-15 school very late in the cycle. The secondaries were done in late Nov. but I had an interview at one UC school. Waitlisted then rejected.

Should I retake that horrifying test again and apply next year, or is it worth it AT ALL to apply now even though it is really late?

Thanks in advance, and I would really appreciate any advice....!!

Highly recommend against applying right now. First step is to retake the MCAT. The drop in score during the retake will not look good at all and neither is the score itself. Is your sGPA about 3.5 also? If so, I'd recommend taking this year off, really just focusing on the MCAT to get 30+ (but the higher the better, obviously), and keep up with some EC's along the way. And apply EARLY. There really is no reason to apply so late, you're just hurting yourself! If you do all that, and then apply early and broadly next year, then I believe you will have a solid chance (have you also explored DO?). Best of luck!

You will be okay for DO. I think you've pretty much closed the MD window as a non-trad with a retake of 26 (lower than last time).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're willing to wait a year, you might have a chance at MD. Focus on getting that MCAT above a 32 if you can, continue doing what you're doing (research I'm assuming), and apply EARLY next year. I guess the 28 --> 26 doesn't look good but I think if you can get a good score on your third take, maybe schools would overlook this? Not sure...

My GPA is a bit lower than yours, took MCAT twice (first time <30, second time 35), and extensive research experience. I applied in June, submitted secondaries July/Aug and so far have a few interviews to mid-tier schools.