Non-trad. 3.88 graduate gpa, 2.92 uGPA, any chance at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daesidoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MD schools are out of reach at this point unless you crush the MCAT (35+).Even then, it is a small chance though. For DO schools,you are fine. Theylike non-trads and all you will have to do is re-take a couple science courses to getyour GPA above a 3.0...not much point in retakin non-science, right? I would say register for those courses ASAP and begin your MCAT study.

What gradesdid you get in your pre-req classes

AACOMAS grade replacement policy is your friend.

QUOTE=gmcguitar4;14142448]MD schools are out of reach at this point unless you crush the MCAT (35+).Even then, it is a small chance though. For DO schools,you are fine. Theylike non-trads and all you will have to do is re-take a couple science courses to getyour GPA above a 3.0...not much point in retakin non-science, right? I would say register for those courses ASAP and begin your MCAT study.

What gradesdid you get in your pre-req classes[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you do your undergrad?
You majored in Bioengineering, and to just find classes at other institutions to replace those classes will be tough at best. Most non-enrolled courses being offered are introductory with a few exceptions.

Also since I see you opted for WAMC for only MD so I'm guessing that you're not considering DO?

Your master's GPA is solid. That shows that you are able to handle upper-level medical courses just fine.

Take it from someone who was in an extremely similar situation (cGPA 2.7 sGPA 2.5).

Your number ONE priority right now is to rock your MCATs! Your success at the master's has shown that you can handle tough graduate coursework.

You'll need to beef up your extra-currics. What are they by the way? Have you any research experience? How about community service and volunteering? These are a close number two on your priority list.

My best advice is the following:

1. Study study study for the MCATs, from now until the next app cycle. Make this exam your life. Take your time. Know this exam inside-out.

2. Do research (paid if you can find it; paid/unpaid matters not in this regard) until the next app cycle, and get involved with community service while continuing to shadow. By the time you're ready for interviews, you'll have an entire year and a half of all of the above.

Your MD acceptance is likely at least a year and a half away (applying now without an MCAT or having studied for one should not even be considered), but I think that will be your best bet to improve your application.

Good luck :)

For MD, you will need a very high MCAT score and even more EC work, for a long shot at best.

For DO, re-take some classes.