Non-trad, 33 MCAT, 3.3 cGPA. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedHouse21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'd like some advice. I am a recent graduate of a top 20 university with a sub-par GPA and a decent (but not stellar) MCAT, as listed above. I was getting ~2.7 in my freshman and ~3.0 in my sophomore years, and around 3.5 in my junior year and I ended with a 3.8 in my final semester during my senior year. So, upward trend, I guess. Although I wish I could punch my freshman self in the face. I think I lacked the maturity to meet the demands of a difficult college curriculum, but (as I hope my upward trend suggests) I think I learned from my mistakes grew in the process.

I have a balanced MCAT: 10BS, 11PS, 12VR. I also have plenty of research experience, having done research consistently since the summer of my freshman year. Anticipating a first-authored publication. Right now I'm working at a hospital as a medical scribe, and I will be putting off my med school application for another year while I work to get clinical experience. Will be applying for the matriculation cycle of 2016.

I'm shooting for a mid-tier school. Does that sound reasonable? Also... should I retake the MCAT? Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I don't have any specific schools in mind right now (except for the University of Iowa (I'm an Iowa resident)), so suggestions on this front would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: