Non-trad applicants and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustang sally

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, gals & residency directors,

In your opinion, how long is too long to be out of school before reapplying for residency? Is there some cut-off point at which your application is no longer taken seriously because you're too far out of school? I have been inpatient staff since graduation (not retail), if that makes any difference.

Also wondering if you think there is any age bias in pharmacy residencies? I was a bit older when I went to pharmacy school, and I sort of felt like residency directors more preferred the fresh-faced twenty-something (but that could have just been all in my head). Thanks for any advice & opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I was also a bit older when I went to pharmacy school and worked a year after graduation as a hospital staff pharmacist prior to completing a residency.

I personally don't think there is an age bias or a strict cut-off point for how long after graduation for which your application is no longer taken seriously. It depends on your work experience, recommendations, networking/connections, passion for the profession, and most importantly, whether you'll be a good fit for the residency program.

In your case, I think your inpatient staff experience will work to your advantage.

good luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
I had two colleagues who completed residencies after working for a while. One of them worked retail for 5 years before applying, and the other worked inpatient for 10 years. So they were early-mid thirties by the time they started residency. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there is any age bias in pharmacy residencies. I am in a residency now after working for two years. Some of the more competitive programs don't look at non-traditional applicants.

My program has some older pharmacists that have been working as staff. I think if it's something you really want to do, I say go for it! I'm rooting for you!! :)

I have not seen overt age bias per se, but there is bias against people matching PGY-1 residencies after working. Not impossible by any stretch, just harder. Apply broadly and interview everywhere that offers the chance. Also, smile, brush your teeth, and ask questions....

Older candidates with experience make great residents. They are usually more focused.

Reactions: 1 users
Older candidates with experience make great residents. They are usually more focused.
i wish all program directors think the way you do.

Last edited:
there is a bias, although no one will likely admit it. The first thing we think of is why didn't they do a residency right out of school? probably because they couldn't get one. This is not always the case, but that is the first thought anyone is going to have, right or wrong.

there is a bias, although no one will likely admit it. The first thing we think of is why didn't they do a residency right out of school? probably because they couldn't get one. This is not always the case, but that is the first thought anyone is going to have, right or wrong.
What's wrong if someone couldn't get one their first try and decided to work and then try again?

What's wrong if someone couldn't get one their first try and decided to work and then try again?
It is kinda like getting someone's ex - you don't want other people's throw aways (not saying I agree with this - hell I wouldn't get an interview in today's competitive environment, but that is reality)

It is kinda like getting someone's ex - you don't want other people's throw aways (not saying I agree with this - hell I wouldn't get an interview in today's competitive environment, but that is reality)

Hmmm. I don't know. That mentality just bugs me. I didn't match initially and it could have been from multiple factors. I was lucky enough to scramble. I finished my PGY1 with no issues and I managed to match into my PGY2 and I've received nothing but positive feedback throughout both years.

When someone doesn't match, I just think there's so many things at play but I haven't had to work with those individuals so I'm sure other people can speak about their experiences of working with those who didn't match better than I could.

I guess this is true, at least for me. I didn't match, which could have been for whatever reason, but I'm pretty sure my lack of work experience at the time was my major drawback and probably what killed my application.

Hmmm. I don't know. That mentality just bugs me. I didn't match initially and it could have been from multiple factors. I was lucky enough to scramble. I finished my PGY1 with no issues and I managed to match into my PGY2 and I've received nothing but positive feedback throughout both years.

When someone doesn't match, I just think there's so many things at play but I haven't had to work with those individuals so I'm sure other people can speak about their experiences of working with those who didn't match better than I could.
I am not saying I agree with it - I am just saying (from my years being on a resident interview committee) that it is a mentality of some. I am certain I would not get an interview from my institution today with what my pharmacy school application would have contained (and I graduated in the top 5% of my class). I didn't do a lot of extra stuff, I worked, and worked a lot. That is why I usually fight for those that compare to me.

I guess this is true, at least for me. I didn't match, which could have been for whatever reason, but I'm pretty sure my lack of work experience at the time was my major drawback and probably what killed my application.
Unfortunately I don't think enough committees put enough emphasis on work experience, I am a strong proponent of it compared to being on a bunch of committee's,

I think this is what hurt me as well among applying to nothing but really competitive programs, which I would have change if I had to go back and redo everything.

I think this is what hurt me as well among applying to nothing but really competitive programs, which I would have change if I had to go back and redo everything.

Same here! I only went after major trauma centers. I must have thought I had some sort of chance at the time...

Going back and applying for a residency shows that you are really driven to do one. However, this only looks good if you have actually been working as a pharmacist. We've had some applicants who were not working or doing anything apply again.

I am a non trad applicant. I didn't match last year and am reapplying this year. Do I need to make a new phorcas account or can I use my one from last year? How do I get my new transcript onto my old account if its ok to use the account from last year. How did you other non trad residents apply on phorcas?