This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bprizzle986

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! For those of you who have blazed this path before, I need some tips/advice. I’m a Non-Trad with a MSBS (class of ‘19). I have a full time job in a private practice (work 7am-6pm most days) and have three kids under 5yo.

I’m assuming the death march to the MCAT will be a long one, considering the hours I have available... I’m hoping to be ready by May (it’s November).

For those who have juggled these responsibilities and been successful, what were your strategies? What tips do you have? What suggestions are there to not burn out and not be a complete jerk to my kids for the next few months of prep?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Not exactly the same circumstances, but single parent who was working near full-time over the summer I prepped (at a job I didn't get out till 3 am most nights), so it wasn't exactly a cake walk managing study time.

I think my biggest bits of advice would be: stay off the internet forums and avoid temptation to follow study schedules and advice from people who are not juggling the type of responsibilities you have. Design a study schedule that fits into YOUR life schedule (I might suggest getting up early before the kids wake ie making 4 am - 6 am designated uninterrupted study time, which will mean going to bed earlier but that will be good for the kids too anyway). Study at the park, their sporting events, whatever places they are being entertained. Do flashcards on your lunch break at work and even educate others about the stuff (I "taught" some of the people at the pizza place and the bar about physics laws, psychology phenomenas, anatomy etc...they couldn't have cared less but it was a way for me to practice recall). Listen to Khan Academy videos while you shower, and in the car. Study just before bed for about an hour. Between those things, you're looking at 2 hours a day of active study, and 1-2 of passive study, which puts you at 300 in 3 months (the recommended hours minimum). Then, make Saturdays or Sundays your designated practice test day. Book a room at the library or college campus or ANYWHERE you will be able to actually simulate test conditions. Do NOT try it while the kids are around. I did Saturdays test from 8 am - 3 pm (my dad graciously agreed in advance to babysit for 8 Sats in a row) then did Sunday relaxed review throughout the day while the kid played or we went to park or whatever (a temporary personal phone hotspot to tether internet wherever we went was very helpful for this). Then for week before test I took the week off and crammed another 2 tests while kid was at camp. I wouldn't recommend this but hey. I think I took another one overnight one time because I was in a mood (ironically my best score which was odd). Don't try to rush or cram. Map it out in advance and stick to it and get your family's agreement and support. It will absolutely suck and they will absolutely feel neglected, but they're less likely to get angry about it if you warn them about the suck in advance. I also had to eventually keep my phone off and say "no" to all extra commitments no matter how small. Your rare moments alone you will need to maintain sanity. I got dumped actually but I didn't care - people who are too selfish to respect your goals are not people you want on the wagon for this ride. You'll do great, hang in there and stay focused! Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Not exactly the same circumstances, but single parent who was working near full-time over the summer I prepped (at a job I didn't get out till 3 am most nights), so it wasn't exactly a cake walk managing study time.

I think my biggest bits of advice would be: stay off the internet forums and avoid temptation to follow study schedules and advice from people who are not juggling the type of responsibilities you have. Design a study schedule that fits into YOUR life schedule (I might suggest getting up early before the kids wake ie making 4 am - 6 am designated uninterrupted study time, which will mean going to bed earlier but that will be good for the kids too anyway). Study at the park, their sporting events, whatever places they are being entertained. Do flashcards on your lunch break at work and even educate others about the stuff (I "taught" some of the people at the pizza place and the bar about physics laws, psychology phenomenas, anatomy etc...they couldn't have cared less but it was a way for me to practice recall). Listen to Khan Academy videos while you shower, and in the car. Study just before bed for about an hour. Between those things, you're looking at 2 hours a day of active study, and 1-2 of passive study, which puts you at 300 in 3 months (the recommended hours minimum). Then, make Saturdays or Sundays your designated practice test day. Book a room at the library or college campus or ANYWHERE you will be able to actually simulate test conditions. Do NOT try it while the kids are around. I did Saturdays test from 8 am - 3 pm (my dad graciously agreed in advance to babysit for 8 Sats in a row) then did Sunday relaxed review throughout the day while the kid played or we went to park or whatever (a temporary personal phone hotspot to tether internet wherever we went was very helpful for this). Then for week before test I took the week off and crammed another 2 tests while kid was at camp. I wouldn't recommend this but hey. I think I took another one overnight one time because I was in a mood (ironically my best score which was odd). Don't try to rush or cram. Map it out in advance and stick to it and get your family's agreement and support. It will absolutely suck and they will absolutely feel neglected, but they're less likely to get angry about it if you warn them about the suck in advance. I also had to eventually keep my phone off and say "no" to all extra commitments no matter how small. Your rare moments alone you will need to maintain sanity. I got dumped actually but I didn't care - people who are too selfish to respect your goals are not people you want on the wagon for this ride. You'll do great, hang in there and stay focused! Good luck.
It's doable, OP. Hang in there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know whether or not this will still be possible post-Covid but in 2019 I did an in-person review course, every weekend for ~6 weeks. So I basically limited my studying to Saturdays and Sundays and the weeknights were for family time. I found the in person review course to be much more high yield and structured than I would have been able to do by myself.

Reactions: 1 user
@Endee which review course and how did you do? Had you recently finished your prereqs or had it been a while since you'd done them?

@Endee which review course and how did you do? Had you recently finished your prereqs or had it been a while since you'd done them?
I did the Kaplan in person review in summer 2019. It was 15 years since I did my prerequisites. Felt like all the content was down in the depths of my brain and just needed to be dug out, I didn’t find it that bad to review all that stuff again. Was very helpful.