Non-trad, first gen doctor, what are my chances here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjh0106

Reaction score
cGPA: 3.56
sGPA: 3.35
MCAT: 502 (125/126/125/126)
NJ resident
White female
Rutgers University, New Brunswick
Clinical: 300 hours in a drug and alcohol rehab facility
Research: 500 hours (no pubs/posters)
Shadowing: 50 hours addiction medicine, 25 hours internal medicine
Non-clinical: 1000 hours food bank
Extracurriculars (non-school related): I am a 39 y/o - so i worked for 12 years as a hairstylist before I returned to school. Hiking, traveling, played in a touring folk band in my 20's
Extracurriculars (school related): president of a recovery organization at school, involved in a student run safe drinking campaign at school, member of alcohol and other drugs committee
- As you can see- almost my entire application is centered around addiction/those who suffer from substance use disorder. I am hoping this comes off an cohesive and passionate.

School List: I am an NJ resident, and we have several MD programs- should I even bother applying with that gpa/MCAT combo?
I will mostly focus my time on DO.
-And my husband and I have discussed this at length and we are willing to move, and can afford to apply to roughly 30-35 schools. I also know that some of these programs have more than one location, which is fine as well. Just not sure if those are separate on the AACOMAS app(clearly a first gen doctor here- no one in my family is of any help with this)

Rowan (this is my top choice)
NYITCOM
Touro
PCOM
UNECOM
LECOM
Liberty
VCOM
WVSOM
KCU COM
DUQCOM
VCOM
Burrell COM
Nova Southeastern
-also I saw there is a new school in orlando, FL as well- does anyone know anything about that?

Members don't see this ad.

You could add these schools to your application:
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
CUSOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
WCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
In general, it is preferable to avoid newer schools because they have no record of how their applicants will match for residency.
It would also be worth applying to Cooper Rowan for MD.

Reactions: 1 user
How long ago did you take the relevant classes for medical school? Have you shadowed DO's that use OMM/OMT?
I’m just finishing undergrad at Rutgers, technically I’m in my junior year- my GPA/MCAT is from right now, classes have been taken in the last 3 years.

And the physicians I’ve shadowed have been MD’s, ironically.