MD & DO Non-Trad ... NEED advice on ECs ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandabear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to apply this coming May and I need advice regarding my EC's ...
I have:
110 hours of ER volunteering Undergrad (approx 3-4 years ago)
50+ hours of free clinic volunteering
100+ hours of training in phlebotomy
Some Shadowing
At present have been an adjunct professor for 2 years teaching intro bio and physiology
I have some small community service activities from grad school and a lot of clubs and leadership roles from undergrad and grad.
What else should I be looking to do to give my application a boost? Are my ECs not as good if they are a few years old?

Any advice is helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey mandabear! If you are applying in two months there is very little that you can do as far as ECs are concerned. Sure you can start things but without a meaningful duration of time ADCOMs are likely to see these activities for what they are, namely last ditch efforts to improve your application. Of course there is nothing wrong with trying to improve your application, I'm just saying starting new activities will likely not get you very far. The one thing you could do is try to get more shadowing experience which, depending on how much you already have, could boost your application a bit and give you something more to talk about on secondaries and at interviews.

I am getting ready to apply this coming May and I need advice regarding my EC's ...
I have:
110 hours of ER volunteering Undergrad (approx 3-4 years ago)
50+ hours of free clinic volunteering
100+ hours of training in phlebotomy
Some Shadowing
At present have been an adjunct professor for 2 years teaching intro bio and physiology
I have some small community service activities from grad school and a lot of clubs and leadership roles from undergrad and grad.
What else should I be looking to do to give my application a boost? Are my ECs not as good if they are a few years old?

Any advice is helpful!
You don't mention research, but I'd agree with cybermaxx12 that it's too late to start that now. Nontrads are often given a pass in that arena due to other rich life experiences that add to their candidacy, anyway.

The comment "some" shadowing leapt out at me also. About 50 hours is the average listed. I'd aim at 40 hours as a minimum. This is one activity where recency of the Experience won't act against you. Add whatever you need quickly, before you submit, and hopefully include a primary care doc.

Last edited:
Cybermaxx12 and Catalystik,
Thank you so much for you input! I have been actively looking for some more shadowing opportunities and will make that a priority for my app.

Thank you again, that really helped!

Reactions: 1 user