Non-trad - Should I shoot my shot next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roselilydrop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Non-traditional student here, 30 y/o now.

Metrics:
- started from CC, transferred to UC (didn't do so great in UC)
- current AMCAS cGPA: 3.35, sGPA: 3.23; AACOMAS cGPA: 3.35, sGPA: 3.15 (this is after 28 credits of DIY post bacc at a community college)
- DIY post bacc at CC consisted of: (Kinesiology, Intro to the Human Body, Human Physiology, Human Anatomy, Human Nutrition, Immunology, Microbiology) -- all at 4.0
- 1700+ hours of academic science research (co-author of a Nature publication)
- 1500+ hours clinical patient care as a medical assistant in 2019 (9 months)
- 200-300 hours clinical volunteering
- 70 hours shadowing
- 50-100 hours non-clinical volunteering
- 50-100 hours leadership/mentorship/tutoring underserved students
- planned MCAT for Jan. 2022
- prerequisites (Gen. Chem, Ochem, Gen. Physics, Calc) are more than 8 years old

Absurdly high undergrad debt:
- private student loan of 110k
- federal student loan of 42k
(these are going to grow with further deferment, interests will be compounding)

Recently, a formal post-bacc with linkage accepted me, and I was ready to fly there with my family. Then, received a phone call from their financial department on the same day we were suppose to fly there, stating that they could not approve my private loan (which only grants funding to degree seeking students). By this time, it was too late for me to accept the other offers to other programs (which were degree granting masters in biomedical sciences at DO schools).

At this point, I am at a loss. My parents see me as a failure, as I do myself. Dealing with massive student debt, low paying job with my Biology degree from undergrad, should I just give up the pursuit of medicine and pivot?

Thank you so much for reading thus far. Any guidance or insights would be much appreciated.

Thank you so sincerely to all that have responded!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on your risk profile and opportunity costs. What are your other options outside of medicine?

Looking at your stats and amazing ECs, I do think you stand a chance for medical school without further schooling. So maybe give it a shot for next cycle and see. You just need to make sure you kill the MCAT this January.

If you really feel like you need more credits before applying next cycle, just go for a diy postbacc and try paying out of pocket.

If you really feel like you need a solid program, you can also go for a Special Master's program next year. Yes, they can be a bit more expensive (average around $50k), but since they are considered graduate level, you should have no problem obtaining financial aid. Many require the MCAT, but with your stats you can get into almost any SMP and some have great linkage deals.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you should receive interviews at DO schools. Post your actual score here when available.

Thank you sincerely to all for your insights and guidance. Will update with an actual MCAT score by next year!🤞

Hello everyone!

Metrics:
- current AMCAS cGPA: 3.35, sGPA: 3.23; AACOMAS cGPA: 3.35, sGPA: 3.15 (this is after 28 credits of DIY post bacc at a community college)
- DIY post bacc at CC consisted of: (Kinesiology, Intro to the Human Body, Human Physiology, Human Anatomy, Human Nutrition, Immunology, Microbiology) -- all at 4.0
- 70 hours shadowing
- prerequisites (Gen. Chem, Ochem, Gen. Physics, Calc) are more than 8 years old

Recently, a formal post-bacc with linkage accepted me, and I was ready to fly there with my family. Then, received a phone call from their financial department on the same day we were suppose to fly there, stating that they could not approve my private loan (which only grants funding to degree seeking students). By this time, it was too late for me to accept the other offers to other programs (which were degree granting masters in biomedical sciences at DO schools).

At this point, I am at a loss. My parents see me as a failure, as I do myself. Dealing with massive student debt, low paying job with my Biology degree from undergrad, should I just give up the pursuit of medicine and pivot?

Thank you so much for reading thus far. Any guidance or insights would be much appreciated.

Obviously you need to ace the MCAT to have any chance at a DO school. Schools will be hesitant to take you unless you have a great MCAT because it sounds like you did well at a CC then did poorly at a UC then did well at a CC. That kind of story doesn't bode well for you succeeding in med school.

I don't think any US MD school would take you with that GPA.

If you haven't already you need to shadow a DO and get a DO letter.

I agree with what everyone else said with respect to being competitive for DO, but I also see an opportunity for you to boost your nonclinical volunteering hours before you apply, if you can. 100 hours is a touch low compared with many successful applicants. Just an opportunity for extra improvement.

Also, screw your parents’ opinions of you. You are hardly a failure - at worst, you were a bit of a late bloomer - and I think you can get into med school next cycle with a good MCAT. Have confidence in yourself and tell your mom and dad to shove it if they start getting you down.

Wow, are you me? We have very similar stats, very similar debt profile, very similar story in regards to getting into a Postbac program (in my case it was an SMP) and then not being able to attend due to loan shenanigans (my credit score is so bad I can't even get approved for subprime credit cards haha). Wish I had more advice to give you, but I'm at a loss as well. Just wanted to commiserate and let you know you're not alone! <3
I don't think any US MD school would take you with that GPA.
Do you think OP would have a shot at an MD school if they were able to score significantly high on the MCAT?

Hello everyone!

Metrics:
- 70 hours shadowing

Definitely consider D.O. As has been said above, a lot depends on your MCAT score. I wish you the best of luck with everything. <3