Non-trad. student w/ 3.3 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derekream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from UNT this past December with a BA in sociology with a minor in psychology. I have taken introduction into biotechnology and introduction into biology as my 2 natural sciences for my BA, other than that, I have a general statistics and a sociology statistics.

With this being said, I was thinking of going back to the community college I went to first to get my AA before I went to UNT to do all of my pre-med classes (I would need 3-4 biologies, 2 general and 2 O. chem and 2 physics). My uGPA total was a 3.3, my major GPA was a 3.8 and my minor GPA was a 3.78.

I believe if I got A's on all of my pre-med courses, this would maybe get me to a 3.5. I want to apply to all of the Texas medical schools...do you think I have a good chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from UNT this past December with a BA in sociology with a minor in psychology. I have taken introduction into biotechnology and introduction into biology as my 2 natural sciences for my BA, other than that, I have a general statistics and a sociology statistics.

With this being said, I was thinking of going back to the community college I went to first to get my AA before I went to UNT to do all of my pre-med classes (I would need 3-4 biologies, 2 general and 2 O. chem and 2 physics). My uGPA total was a 3.3, my major GPA was a 3.8 and my minor GPA was a 3.78.

I believe if I got A's on all of my pre-med courses, this would maybe get me to a 3.5. I want to apply to all of the Texas medical schools...do you think I have a good chance?

If you can get all As in your premed classes to bring your cGPA to 3.5, you might need a 30+ mcat to have a shot at TX MD. 26+ mcat might get you into DO.

You would have a chance with a near 30 MCAT, but getting all A's in your pre-med classes is easier said than done. I'm not sure what adcoms think about people taking the difficult classes at a community college either.

Members don't see this ad :)

I mean absolutely no offense by this, but I worry that you don't have realistic expectations for the level of science classes you need to take and plan to get all A's in. I would advise taking it slowly and only taking a couple classes at a time (meaning do NOT take a 300 level bio class along with O. Chem and physics). Maybe your choice in majors was not a true representation of what you're capable of, but do yourself a favor and pace yourself for success. :)

I am very well aware of the pace I would need to take. As far as my choice in major, it was because I wanted to study the social and behavioral sciences. Long story short, I switched careers from being a professional musician to wanting to study psychology. Towards the middle portion of my time in my undergraduate program, I really got interested in the biological approach to psychology and from that point I have slowly been leaning forward to taking the necessary courses in a slow pace to find out if this is the approach to the psychiatric/ psychological sciences I would want to pursue.

I know you didn't mean any offense, but this isn't my first rodeo as far as testing out uncharted waters and knowing when to adjust. I went from a 1.978 GPA when I first started college and worked my tail off to do very well in my major and minor. So, I know I have the ability and the method to break this down if I want to.

(But this was not why I posted this thread, I wanted to see what the general consensus was on my current stats, and given the probability of my projected path what are my possible outcomes).