Non-Trad URM: Which way to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PETOHMI85

Know Thy Self
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been difficult to decide if I should apply to more allopathic schools because of my background or osteopathic school because of GPA. As a non traditional URM pre-medical student who will be the first in my family to enter (or apply to for that matter) medical school, It's important to obtain insight for my peers and predecessors who have experience the admissions process. I have 3 semesters to complete before I apply and currently my stats are:

Major: Biological Sciences
Minors: Chemistry & Business Administration

3.6sGPA (all prerequisites completed with A's and B's)
3.3cGPA
Have yet to take MCAT, but have been scoring between 29 and 31 on practice exams.

ECs include:
Licensure and experience working as a PET/CT Tech
Phlebotomist experience
5 years shadowing and clinical volunteer exp. (Primary Care, EM, MD/Phd)
Established institution Premedical club as well as 3 Enrichment programs
Created a Library
Speaker on a few pre-med panels
Silent student member of the Biology board
Freshman & Transfer student Mentor

Research:
Worked on Investigative New Drug clinical studies
Receptor Sub-cloning
Social Research on Marriage (required for honors credit)
Genomic Sequencing (found an identifiable genetic sequence)
*Only student from my school to be accepted for this research fellowship 3 times (sequentially)

Cons:
Few Ws (because of extraneous personal issues)
2 F (which were requested)
Graduating from a senior university not historically known for premedical studies- new BS curriculum.
Also, I have a GED and not a traditional HS Diploma.

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you have time before you apply, focus on raising your cGPA. Otherwise your application is strong. Your MCAT will determine which doors open up for you, but get a 30+ and you will be in a good position.