MD non trad w/ 3.05cgpa/3.1sgpa/3.9 postbacc/30mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about .3-.4 higher in gpa for DO, so not concerned about that. Strictly wondering about MD...

Great ec's, leadership experience, poor grades were from 2002-2004.

Postbacc included most pre reqs plus couple upper div courses.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about .3-.4 higher in gpa for DO, so not concerned about that. Strictly wondering about MD...

Great ec's, leadership experience, poor grades were from 2002-2004.

Postbacc included most pre reqs plus couple upper div courses.
When do you plan to apply (and where)? Are you from the inland empire? SDA?

Already applied, primary released today. I did apply to Riverside as I do have a long history of volunteering with under served populations

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Already applied, primary released today. I'm from coastal San diego. I did apply to Riverside as I do have a long history of volunteering with under served populations
UCR is focused on the inland empire, though. Let us know if you get an interview there.
The rest of your list?

When do you plan to apply (and where)? Are you from the inland empire? SDA?

App was released today, so hopefully schools will receive it shortly.

Applied to..
uc riverside
Uc Davis
Albany
Nymc
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wayne state

Im from CA hough I do have a long history of working with under served populations.

Any other schools you think are worthwhile applying to off top of your head?

Last edited:
I'm feeling particularly hopeful about Wayne state. Admissions told me if you have completed a post bacc with 30+ hours they take that gpa. Though I find that hard to believe fully...A 3.9/3.9 and a 30 seems pretty competitive there.

I'm feeling particularly hopeful about Wayne state. Admissions told me if you have completed a post bacc with 30+ hours they take that gpa. Though I find that hard to believe fully...A 3.9/3.9 and a 30 seems pretty competitive there.
If you can find any other schools that will look at your post bac instead of your UG gpa, I would strongly recommend them. I can't say that I have much to add. Maybe MCW? Are you fluent in Spanish?

If you can find any other schools that will look at your post bac instead of your UG gpa, I would strongly recommend them. I can't say that I have much to add. Maybe MCW? Are you fluent in Spanish?

Unfortunately I am not fluent.

I will look into mcw. Thanks for the tip. I suppose best bet is to contact schools to gauge how heavily they'll weigh my post bacc gpa?

Unfortunately I am not fluent.

I will look into mcw. Thanks for the tip. I suppose best bet is to contact schools to gauge how heavily they'll weigh my post bacc gpa?
It's your best shot. That UG gpa is going to scare a lot of them off. I hope they can be straight with you.

Reactions: 1 user
It's your best shot. That UG gpa is going to scare a lot of them off. I hope they can be straight with you.

With all due respect to the admissions process, how could adcoms look at my grades from 10+ years ago, see I did poorly in a bunch of 100 level classes and be afraid I couldn't handle med school coursework...I don't doubt you, I just think it's ridiculous.

With all due respect to the admissions process, how could adcoms look at my grades from 10+ years ago, see I did poorly in a bunch of 100 level classes and be afraid I couldn't handle med school coursework...I don't doubt you, I just think it's ridiculous.
Part of it has to do with the fact that the aggregate data reported back to the AAMC (and US Snooze and World Distort) is the Cugpa. Lower stats attract different applicants. This is one of the few variables that a school can independently use to increase their rankings.

That aspect of their decision makes perfect sense..and is what I assumed to be the primary motivating factor.

We ignore them. The PB work shows the you of now is not the you of them.

Your weak MCAT score will hurt, but I recommend Albany, Tulane, U Miami, Drexel, Tufts, Rosy F, and NYMC. Wayne State is a maybe. Also try the newest MD schools, except Va Tech and Hofstra.

We ignore them. The PB work shows the you of now is not the you of them.

Your weak MCAT score will hurt, but I recommend Albany, Tulane, U Miami, Drexel, Tufts, Rosy F, and NYMC. Wayne State is a maybe. Also try the newest MD schools, except Va Tech and Hofstra.

Thank you as always Goro.

Having shadowed two DO's and worked with MD's in my volunteer position, I'm more drawn to what the DO's are doing. I'd be perfectly happy going to a DO school over MD, if it's a DO school I'm very interested in. That said, as an adcom at a DO, do you think I'd be making a mistake? If I really wanted to learn OMM as an MD I could...and I'd potentially have less road blocks if 3 years down the road I no longer wanted to go into a primary care field, and perhaps specialize in something more competitive.

No, I honestly don't think you'll be making a mistake by choosing DO over MD. Yes, MD grads have more opportunities, and yes, my DO students who have gotten into ACGME residencies say that they've had to work harder to get there, but get there they did. DOs CAN specialize. The upcoming merger will make things simpler.

Thank you as always Goro.

Having shadowed two DO's and worked with MD's in my volunteer position, I'm more drawn to what the DO's are doing. I'd be perfectly happy going to a DO school over MD, if it's a DO school I'm very interested in. That said, as an adcom at a DO, do you think I'd be making a mistake? If I really wanted to learn OMM as an MD I could...and I'd potentially have less road blocks if 3 years down the road I no longer wanted to go into a primary care field, and perhaps specialize in something more competitive.