non-trad w/ questions about odds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

l4t3bl00m3r

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a rather low UG Social Science GPA (2.8-ish) some 12 years ago. I found what I liked to do and got a SocSci Masters with a 3.8 GPA. In the mean time, I have been growing my family's business, working weekends as an LNA and serving in a reserve component in the military.
For powerful personal reasons I won't get into, I am now VERY committed to become a PA. I'd like some thoughts from the peanut gallery

-Are there any programs that have "grade forgiveness"? I see several MD/DO schools have it structured so that if you have taken a class that is more than 10 years old, it "doesn't count".
-If I re-do classes, are they "averaged" or does the best grade get taken?
-I know Grad work is notoriously grade inflated, but might that be a "decider" one way or another between me and another candidate?
-If I do very well in my make-shift post-bac, will that reflect favorably enough to make up for the low UG GPA?
-I understand that there are many programs which have an absolute floor set to UG GPA as a way to thin the applicant pool. My 2.8 is probably in the "got thinned" pile for those. Do you have any scuttlebutt as to what programs might look favorably on my "low GPA, but it was a long time ago, and I am a changed man" approach?
-Is there such a thing as too much HCE?
-Do programs look favorably on military service?
-I specifically want to work in rural areas. I am a rural person by nature and strongly prefer country life. I see many schools have in their mission statement something along the lines of "we seek students who want to serve rural/undeserved areas". Is this something real, ie does making my interest clear in my application actually help?
Thanks in advance for your help, SDN is a terrific resource

Members don't see this ad.