Non-Trad! What MCAT Prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having such a hard time trying to figure out what to study with. I have been out of school for 3 years so most of my pre-reqs are from 6- 7years ago. I have the Kaplan course books and I also have the BR and EK books.
I have heard such great things about BR and EK so books I am leaning towards them, but on the other hand I've heard Kaplan goes into a lot of detail and since I dont remember a lot I figure this might be good for me. Argh I have to many books can't figure out which ones to read!:confused: What should I do???

Members don't see this ad.

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. EK/Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

I was in the exact situation, non trad with either no pre-reqs or ones that I barely remember. I went with Kaplan and I felt like it was a good starting point but I needed to supplement the test material. For Physics and Chem I went with NOVA and EK. For OChem and Bio, taking the pre-req classes helped me a lot. I wanted to get the BR review books but ran out of time.

I am retaking the MCAT next week so I guess I will know if I nail it finally.

I'm a non-trad as well. The first time I took the MCAT (four years ago), I used Kaplan only. I bombed (not because of Kaplan, though). I took the test in January of this year having used about half the BR material and a few AAMCs and did much better. I'm retaking in July after getting through all the TBR material and going back to do as many practice problems as possible (TBR, some TPR, EK, and even Kaplan--their sectional tests for the sciences are very good). Though finding a good set of content review books is essential for understanding the material after being out of school a while (TBR helped me more than Kaplan in this regard), you need to be able to work through and thoroughly review as many high-quality practice problems as possible.