Non traditional Applicant seeking input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Counselingdentist

LECOM D1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this and hoping to get some feedback.

I am a non-traditional student beginning my pre-dental path. I have an undergraduate health science degree (3.7 oGPA, low science GPA) from a top-tier public university and a master's degree in school counseling (4.0 GPA) from the same university. I have been a practicing high school counselor for three years but have been considering this career change for basically the entire time. I have a genetic disorder that had caused me to need significant dental work (maxillofacial reconstruction + full mouth prosthodontic rehab) at the largest dental school in my state and my dentists there encouraged me to take the leap to get my DDS.

I do not have the science pre-reqs from my undergrad. In fact, the science classes I attempted in undergrad did not go well overall. Mostly Cs with a couple of Ws and an "E" (F). I am currently enrolled in a community college for Chem 1 and have been accepted to a second bachelor's program at a local state university in microbiology.

Questions:

A) Should I pursue the second bachelor's or is my application competitive enough (assuming decent DAT and science GPA with this second go-around) to just take the pre-reqs a la carte?

B) How much will a non-science master's degree be considered in application?

C) I work full-time and am taking these additional courses. I'm unsure I can fit in volunteering at a dental office. However, I have collectively spent hundreds of hours in the chair at research dental school (the same one I'm applying to). Do I need to bite the bullet and volunteer or will my first hand experience be enough?

D) AM I EVEN COMPETITIVE
BRO? I'm super insecure about my negative initial foray into the sciences and I'm concerned circumstances from 10 years ago may prevent me from being accepted to my #1/only school I would probably ultimately attend (it's a family thing -- my husband's job is what is allowing me to pursue this career change, so we cannot make a geographic change and lose that financial support). Because I'm putting all my eggs in that basket, I'm wondering what everyone's impressions are on ability to overcome these negatives. I am in contact with the school (they are also where I receive my dental work) and have an appointment to discuss admissions in a few weeks, but I value peer's input as well.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

So I am also a non-traditional and though I am well versed in most of this, my experience is obviously a little different and anecdotal.

I was a finance undergrad and worked in finance for about four years before deciding to go back for dentsl school. I had a 3.0 oGPA. I only took math and Geology in undergrad and got Cs in geology and an F, D and B in math so my science scores were pretty low. I had no prerequisites done for dental school. I quit my job to go back to school full time at a state school. I took Chem 1 Bio 1 and Anatomy first semester, Bio 2 Chem 2 and Physics 1 second semester and then Orgo 1 and 2 over the summer. I took the labs with these classes. During the summer I took the DAT whIle in Orgo 2 and got a 21AA and 22TS. I got almost all A's in my prerequisite (B in Orgo 2 due to DAT studying). I applied to 4 schools, got Fall interviews at 2, denied from 1 and waitlisted at the other. Thinking no dice on try one I was getting ready for a masters to help and lo and behold got in off the waitlist. When I applied I had a 3.9 bcpGPA, but a 3.1 sGPA and oGPAl due to undergrad. It is important to be able to argue the new grades are who you really are, not your grades from years ago.

So, based purely on my experience, do well in the prereqs, do well on the DAT, and you have a good shot.

As far as volunteering, you do need to shadow a dentist. Some schools require this some don't but they all want it. Your experience will be great to talk about but they really want you in as a general dentist since that is what you'll be becoming. You don't have to volunteer at a dental clinic, but you do need to shadow. I did mine over Christmas. If you are still at the school you should have time off for this. That way you won't have to take vacation time.

I think you are competitive assuming class and DAT go well. Harp in personal statement and in interviews that as a non traditional you are more mature and also use your experience as a patient as why you are passionate about dentistry.

One final piece of advice, forget about your past grades and failures. You can't change that but decide that anything you can change, you will nail. This means volunteer hours on weekends, shadowing hours, have some type of leadership, great letters of recommendation, etc. You can only change certain things so focus on those and know them out.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you have a decent shot. I personally would take the pre-reqs only. As long as you do well in them and do well on the DAT, I think you sound very competitive. If the pre-reqs don't cut it, try for a Master's and apply again (assuming you are willing to try multiple cycles). Good for you pursuing your dreams! @carlsab is right, too. Focus on the future. However, I don't think you should forget about your past mistakes. Those helped make you who you are now. Use them as motivation to be as great as you know you can be!

As far as shadowing; unfortunately, you need it. I promise you, it's actually much different being on the other side of the chair. Dental schools want to see that you have experience with the dentist, not as a patient. Your school may require it; if so, I would honestly try and get over the minimum required hours. I am a non-trad too, so I understand how hard it can be, but try and get into offices that will let you stay the entire 8 hour day on a Saturday. If not, pick a few days a week you can go to office that stay open late, or try and take a few days off of work here and there and get a full day in. I know it's stressful and you may feel like you don't have time to do everything, but it will all be worth it once you are in your dream job! I really believe that hard work pays off!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys @fayevalentine and @carlsab. I really appreciate the insight. I am leaning towards the a la carte courses right now and just trying to focus on doing my best there. Once I leave my full-time position as I get into more in-depth pre-reqs, I may even apply to dental practices for clerical work. Do you think this would be valuable or should I just get another job and fit shadowing in on the side? Any other hints from fellow non-traditionals further along in the process??

If you can get a job as a dental assistant, it will go a long way. Clerical work in a dental office isn't bad, but it won't give you the same significant experience that being chairside would. It may help you as far as making the right connections go, however.

You are right to focus first and foremost on your grades, however. Once you feel secure in your classes, then you can worry about the rest. :)

I'm non trad as well, I just applied this cycle. Everything was an uphill battle. I would apply to more than one school given your circumstances. I applied to 18 schools, interviewed at 2 and accepted to both. I work full time and take 2 classes per semester until I finished my basics. My wife now has to move ahead of me because she found a job where I'll be attending school. I know it's tough but hang in there. Also be sure to check that your school takes cc credits bc some won't.