Non-Traditional Re-applicant: Chance me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddskid25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ill be applying the next cycle, with some improvements! Chance me if youve got the time! Thanks!

Undergraduate (BS):
- Biological Sciences
- cGPA: 2.77
- sGPA: 2.56

Graduate (MS):
- Biological Sciences (Medical Sciences)
- cGPA/sGPA: 3.93 (potentially a 3.95 after academic update - Gross Anatomy, Fall 2015)
*30 units finished, with 8 units pending (will academic update - Gross Anatomy Fall 2015)*

DAT Score #1:
AA: 18
TS: 19
Bio: 19
Org Chem: 21
Gen Chem: 18
QR: 18
RC: 16
PAT - 20

DAT Score #2:
- Will be retaking Summer 2015

Work Experience / Volunteering / Extra-curricular Activities (Dentistry-related):
- Dental Office #1: Volunteer/Shadow with 1200+ hours
- Dental Office #2: Volunteer/Shadow with 800+ hours
- Dental Mission Trip: Guatemala
- Pre-Dental Society
- Student Health Profession Association
- 1yr of Research (No publications)
*Potential TA position, Fall 2015*

Resident: CA
Not an URM

Questions:
- Which schools would you recommend I specifically look into?
- How many schools to apply to?

All feedback is welcome, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You will be good with a solid DAT.

Reactions: 1 users
^same! That DAT will either make or break you in my opinion!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I have very similar stats as you! Except I don't have nearly as many shadowing hours, but I got more research :p Good luck next cycle!

As for DAT get DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer! They covered all of the science and QR for my DAT :)

Get an AA of 20+ and you should get a few interviews. Good luck!

Hey! I have very similar stats as you! Except I don't have nearly as many shadowing hours, but I got more research :p Good luck next cycle!

As for DAT get DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer! They covered all of the science and QR for my DAT :)

Get an AA of 20+ and you should get a few interviews. Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! Ill def. look into the DAT/Math Destroyer. Btw any particular schools you guys know of that has a high acceptance rate for non-traditional applicants?

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! Ill def. look into the DAT/Math Destroyer. Btw any particular schools you guys know of that has a high acceptance rate for non-traditional applicants?
Pitt lol. Actually, I think schools tend to like we nontrads. Supposedly it brings diversity and experience to the class.

I'll sell you my dat/math destroyer for half price + shipping - message me if interested.

Pitt lol. Actually, I think schools tend to like we nontrads. Supposedly it brings diversity and experience to the class.

Hahaha nice! Ill take Uni of Pitts into consideration! Thanks daneo!

Thanks the feedback guys! I took the Kaplan course the first time I took the DAT, anything additional you guys would recommend that worked for you?

I personally didn't find Kaplan helpful.. but I definitely recommend Chad's videos, Cliff notes, Bootcamp, and Destroyer!

Reactions: 1 users
I personally didn't find Kaplan helpful.. but I definitely recommend Chad's videos, Cliff notes, Bootcamp, and Destroyer!

Looks like Ill be investing a good penny on these books lol. Thanks swindoll!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like Ill be investing a good penny on these books lol. Thanks swindoll!

I bought Cliff notes for $5 and 2011 versions of Destroyer for $60 if I remember correctly. I'm sure you'll be able to find a good deal on these two! I also bought 2014 Math Destroyer, but if you're on a tight budget, just get the "general" Destroyer; it will have some math practice in it as well!

I bought Cliff notes for $5 and 2011 versions of Destroyer for $60 if I remember correctly. I'm sure you'll be able to find a good deal on these two! I also bought 2014 Math Destroyer, but if you're on a tight budget, just get the "general" Destroyer; it will have some math practice in it as well!

Did you purchase only the Biology section for the Cliff Notes? In addition, I was also wondering, did Chad's Videos or Bootcamp expire after a certain time-frame or did we get to keep them after purchase?

Yeah, Biol is all you need. I think there used to be a link where you can download a PDF copy of Cliff AP for free. You should look it up. Also, yeah, Chad's and Bootcamp expires after your subscription. I feel like if you've already wrote DAT once, you probably don't need Chad's again, just go with the Destroyers :)

Your shadowing hours are impressive, but after certain amount, it really doesnt give you any added benefit. like others said, you will be pretty solid if you do well on DAT.

I know domestic mission trips are okay, but international ones are infamous for doing unethical things, such as letting unlicensed volunteers to do procedures that only licensed practitioners can do in U.S. Maybe be careful when you list your mission trip in e.c. Section.

Jusy clarify that you were only there to help out with general things that doesnt involve treating patients.

Just a thought.

Nice comeback with the grad school grades.

Your shadowing hours are impressive, but after certain amount, it really doesnt give you any added benefit. like others said, you will be pretty solid if you do well on DAT.

I know domestic mission trips are okay, but international ones are infamous for doing unethical things, such as letting unlicensed volunteers to do procedures that only licensed practitioners can do in U.S. Maybe be careful when you list your mission trip in e.c. Section.

Jusy clarify that you were only there to help out with general things that doesnt involve treating patients.

Just a thought.

I had a girl at an interview talk about extracting teeth on a mission trip in South America and the interviewers were like WTF. They weren't too happy about that and I don't think she got accepted. Be very careful with what you say about that experience.

Yeah, Biol is all you need. I think there used to be a link where you can download a PDF copy of Cliff AP for free. You should look it up. Also, yeah, Chad's and Bootcamp expires after your subscription. I feel like if you've already wrote DAT once, you probably don't need Chad's again, just go with the Destroyers :)

Sweet! I will try to hunt down that pdf! That first DAT I took was back in 2012, so I might have to pull the trigger on Chad's Videos haha

Just a thought.

I had a girl at an interview talk about extracting teeth on a mission trip in South America and the interviewers were like WTF. They weren't too happy about that and I don't think she got accepted. Be very careful with what you say about that experience.

Between undergrad and grad school I was out of school for a year and a half, so I thought Id continue with the shadowing to show AdComm's I was productive. I also took a couple recommended science courses (Zoology and Botany) at a local community college at the time. As far as the dental mission trip to Guatemala, I pretty much ran the sanitation system and provided dental assistance to the dentists/hygienists. I believe the organization I did my trip through has close ties with Colorado University Dental School, so hopefully that can count for something lol. Any particular schools you guys recommend?

And shout-out to everyone that replied! I really appreciate it!

She is definitely an idiot...

Last edited:
I've seen 2 people on SDN with an 18AA 19TS get into tufts, nyu, buffalo this year. Apply with those scores.

I will have the scores from my first DAT on my primary application, but as soon as the secondary applications come in, Ill have my new DAT score. I was planning on taking the DAT late July/early Aug.

Would you guys recommend I take the DAT earlier?

Thanks!! Any suggestions on which schools to apply to?
Definitely apply to your state schools. Make sure to look at ATSU, ASDOH and both Midwersterns as I've known non-trad applicants to get into those. Look at private schools around the country such as Loma Linda in Cali or LECOM in Fla. Get the ADEA guide to dental schools when it comes out but also last years's edition to give you a wider idea.

Definitely apply to your state schools. Make sure to look at ATSU, ASDOH and both Midwersterns as I've known non-trad applicants to get into those. Look at private schools around the country such as Loma Linda in Cali or LECOM in Fla. Get the ADEA guide to dental schools when it comes out but also last years's edition to give you a wider idea.

I will note those schools down, big thanks!

Also my brother is currently enrolled in M1 at MWU-AZ. Im not sure if MWU takes family ties to the school into consideration, but would it be wise to mention that to AdComm's (whether it be at MWU-AZ or any other dental school)?

I will note those schools down, big thanks!

Also my brother is currently enrolled in M1 at MWU-AZ. Im not sure if MWU takes family ties to the school into consideration, but would it be wise to mention that to AdComm's (whether it be at MWU-AZ or any other dental school)?
I dont see how it could hurt you to mention that fact, however I'm not to sure the adcom would take that information as an automatic ticket in.

I dont see how it could hurt you to mention that fact, however I'm not to sure the adcom would take that information as an automatic ticket in.

Hahaha probably not an automatic tic, but hopefully some push! Thanks again superlum!

It wouldn't hurt highlighting your academic improvement in your personal statement.

It wouldn't hurt highlighting your academic improvement in your personal statement.

That was going to me the main highlight of my personal statement! Probably the strongest point of my app! Thanks anmy_c!