Non-traditional student facing multiple barriers... Is this even possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modjeska

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone! I'll try to make this as short as possible, but I have multiple concerns that I'm hoping others have faced before, and I'm hoping for some insight.

I'm 36, mother of a 16-year-old, and I'm headed back to school. My undergrad was interrupted by said 16-year-old's arrival and I've worked full time ever since, so I have about three semesters to finish up, and after that is done (or maybe before), I'm thinking of applying to vet school.

I have three years experience as a veterinary assistant, a year doing primate husbandry in a research setting, and five years managing a sanctuary specializing in farm animals where I am responsible for coordinating vet care, as well as doing tech-like work, giving medication, vaccinations, cleaning wounds, herd health management and what not. I have amazingly supportive friends who are in the veterinary field who have promised me glowing recommendations. I do plan to get some more experience as well while I'm finishing my undergrad. My vet experience was nearly ten years ago now, so I'll freshen that up. My old GPA was a 3.8. I'm not anticipating any problems finishing up pre-reqs.

I would be starting vet school (provided I get in!) about the same time my son starts undergrad. He has a healthy college fund, but aside from that, I have very little savings, and in fact, quite a bit of debt. I'm married, but we've been separated and are re-evaluating the entire relationship. He's financially supportive, but I can't say for sure how long that will continue should we decide to divorce. I may end up having to support myself completely. I can certainly continue working full time for a couple of more years, but I'm told I will not be able to work during vet school. Living on loans sounds terrifying, and my credit is not great. He would cosign, though. My parents won't be much help outside of maybe a round of textbooks or something.

Has anyone else dealt with these obstacles? Is it a pipe dream that I will be able to go to vet school with so few financial resources at my disposal? Can one really live on loans? I realize I'd be graduating with an enormous financial burden, but I just don't see myself being happy doing anything else.

Members don't see this ad.

I think a lot of people live on just loans, so they can focus on school more instead of having to work.

Hi, Everyone! I'll try to make this as short as possible, but I have multiple concerns that I'm hoping others have faced before, and I'm hoping for some insight.

I'm 36, mother of a 16-year-old, and I'm headed back to school. My undergrad was interrupted by said 16-year-old's arrival and I've worked full time ever since, so I have about three semesters to finish up, and after that is done (or maybe before), I'm thinking of applying to vet school.

I have three years experience as a veterinary assistant, a year doing primate husbandry in a research setting, and five years managing a sanctuary specializing in farm animals where I am responsible for coordinating vet care, as well as doing tech-like work, giving medication, vaccinations, cleaning wounds, herd health management and what not. I have amazingly supportive friends who are in the veterinary field who have promised me glowing recommendations. I do plan to get some more experience as well while I'm finishing my undergrad. My vet experience was nearly ten years ago now, so I'll freshen that up. My old GPA was a 3.8. I'm not anticipating any problems finishing up pre-reqs.

I would be starting vet school (provided I get in!) about the same time my son starts undergrad. He has a healthy college fund, but aside from that, I have very little savings, and in fact, quite a bit of debt. I'm married, but we've been separated and are re-evaluating the entire relationship. He's financially supportive, but I can't say for sure how long that will continue should we decide to divorce. I may end up having to support myself completely. I can certainly continue working full time for a couple of more years, but I'm told I will not be able to work during vet school. Living on loans sounds terrifying, and my credit is not great. He would cosign, though. My parents won't be much help outside of maybe a round of textbooks or something.

Has anyone else dealt with these obstacles? Is it a pipe dream that I will be able to go to vet school with so few financial resources at my disposal? Can one really live on loans? I realize I'd be graduating with an enormous financial burden, but I just don't see myself being happy doing anything else.

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I think if you can't see yourself being happy doing anything else, you've made an important step. One thing to remember is that most people going into vet school are straight out of undergrad (22-23 years old). Most have no savings and a very few have parents that are able to support them in their vet med education. So virtually all of these folks will be living off of loans. Your situation may be a bit more complicated because of the financial needs of your son, but I'm sure that is not a novel situation for Financial Aid offices. You will be allotted up to the cost of attendance at each school in government loans, so there is also no need to find a private loan provider (ie, no credit check needed).

One thing to consider, though, is the amount of debt you will be undertaking at this stage in your life. Compared to a 22 year old, you will have ~15 years less in wages to pay back your loan money and make a living off of. Do you have an IS school? That would definitely go a long way in reducing your loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to realize that in vet school you get loans to completely cover tuition and living expenses that are reasonable for a student.

As long as you remember you are going to have a student life, then that is ok. I think that may be harder for people like us who are used to a "real" life.
You are going to have to live frugally, in modest place perhaps with housemates/roommates, not eat out so much, not buy a lot of things, etc.

Living on loans is not hard if you are realistic. If you expect to live a middle class lifestyle then you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Do you have an IS school? That would definitely go a long way in reducing your loans.

I do have an IS school, but the cost of attending Michigan State IS is similar to a few OOS schools. The only plus I'm seeing to my marriage possibly ending is that I can apply OOS if I need to and not complicate things for him. I do have a mortgage, but I'm hoping not to at that point.

Isn't there a list at the top of the forum that will show you the cost of tuition at each school? Maybe you can look at that and see where you would apply depending on cost.

You have to realize that in vet school you get loans to completely cover tuition and living expenses that are reasonable for a student.

As long as you remember you are going to have a student life, then that is ok. I think that may be harder for people like us who are used to a "real" life.
You are going to have to live frugally, in modest place perhaps with housemates/roommates, not eat out so much, not buy a lot of things, etc.

Living on loans is not hard if you are realistic. If you expect to live a middle class lifestyle then you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Well, I do work in the non-profit sector, and combined with having a child at 20 and having a husband in school for the last five years, I don't think a student lifestyle will be much of a change! :laugh: I may not notice the difference for awhile.

Isn't there a list at the top of the forum that will show you the cost of tuition at each school? Maybe you can look at that and see where you would apply depending on cost.

Thanks!

You may want to also check into whether or not your classes are considered "out of date" or not. Some schools make you retake classes if they are 5 or 10 years old. Check at the specific vet school you are interested in, if any of your pre-reqs are from a long time ago.