Non-traditional Student need advice (PreReqs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HL86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.
Thank you reading my thread.
I actually posted one yesterday as well.
I have lots of concerns..whew. ):
So, little about myself.
I am a 28 years old, graduated with bachelors in Biology on year 2009 (GPA3.77)
I was actually a pre-med students and took MCAT once and basically failed and was very discouraged
and life happened and had to move on and ever since, been working under my parents family business.

Six years gone so quick and I really always had a mind to work in the medical field but I didn't know
what to do.. Anyway something happened, and now I want to give it a try in Dentistry.
Sorry for being so ambiguous but something inspired me and I really want to do this and change my life as well.

When I post up my thread yesterday I was worried about my prerequisite classes.
Since I was a pre-med, I fulfill most dental school's prerequisite courses. But the problem is that
I graduated on 2009 so it's been six years since my graduation but almost 10 years since I took my intro
Biology or Chemistry classes, right?
Yesterday I found out there was something as EXPIRATION DATES? on the coursed you took.
Some people told me 4 years ,some told me 10 years and some even told me there were no expiration dates.

I contacted few of the dental schools and since I live in Georgia, I first contacted the
GA's sole dental school, GRU.
The office lady told me they don't have a expiration date on the prerequisite courses but just on the
DAT scores. (I e-mailed the director of admission again to make sure- waiting for her reply).

And I contacted Tufts University dental and they e-mailed me back saying they don't have an expiration dates for the prerequisites either.

And I contacted the UCSF dental and this is her e-mail:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is recommended that an applicant apply within 5 years of taking the science prerequisites.

Although course work older than 5 years is still eligible to be submitted as part of the admissions process, it is to your advantage to retake all or part of this course work because the sciences change rapidly and the information you learned may be out of date.

It is also assumed that upon entering dental school you will have a ready command of the basic sciences. Unless you have applied the material regularly since you took the courses, this is unlikely.

Any applicant in this situation should do an honest self-assessment of their retention of the basic sciences
and decide from that on which courses to retake.

Hope this information is helpful to you.
Best of luck!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So basically she's saying I could still apply with my old prerequisite classes, but it will be advantageous for
me to take the pre reqs again, right? and I need to figure out what science classes I should retake to help
myself for DAT and when I go into dental school.

I was really aiming to apply next year, so I don't think I can take ALL the prerequisite courses.
What should I do?
And when I take those classes, should I audit it? or should I really retake to get a grade?

Any suggestions/advice to this lost soul?
Ever felt overwhelmed without actually doing anything? ):

I just want some clear answers. I guess it's different from school to school?

Confused... HELP... ) : !

( & THANK YOU )

Members don't see this ad.

Just take the DAT. Don't retake classes, you will learn the foundation studying for DAT. Only problem I see is getting LORs from those classes that long ago.

Just take the DAT. Don't retake classes, you will learrn the foundation studying for DAT. Only problem I see is getting LORs from those classes that long ago.

Thanks for the reply.
I know.. I have tons of concerns.... I think my adviser is retired and maybe I have few professors I could ask? I'm not even sure about that..
I don't even know who's in the pre-dental committee anymore. Just want to scream.. like it's going to make it any better.. : (

Members don't see this ad :)
Could just take two classes, go to office hours a lot, and then ask for them for it.

Could just take two classes, go to office hours a lot, and then ask for them for it.

Hey again.
I e-mailed back to the UCSF again asking should I audit these classes, or would the
school recommend retaking them (for a grade)? and she replied
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We would recommend that you retake any course in the prerequisites that you obtained a C- or below in. If this is not the case we would recommend that you take upper division science course work to prepare you for the rigorous dental curriculum. We prefer course work that is taken for a grade.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So yeah, like you said, I think I need to go back to school just take maybe one or two classes?
But the school that I graduated from is in different state. I live in GA and I used to go to school in KY.
I guess I just have to e-mail them, it's going to be so difficult :( and awkward... !