Non- traditional student needs help/adivce

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HL86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, my big thanks to people who made time to click and read my thread :) Thank you.

I am a 28 year old who's working under her parent's business for almost six years
after graduating from university with Biology major and Chemistry minor, actually with Pre-med.
(GPA 3.77)

My plan to go to med school failed and I kind just gave up without really trying so hard..
Let's just say, in short, I was very discouraged and life happened and had to move on.
But I really need to make a change in my life.
My six years has gone just so fast without me doing anything, just gone.

Recently something happened (sorry for being ambiguous) and I want to give it a try for a dentist school.
Through out the time working in this family business, I always had a mind of wanting to work in some kind of medical field but I had no courage to do so.

So that was a little of my introduction and moving on to my questions..

I was looking through many dental school's website and found out that I fulfilled the
prerequisite classes since I was in pre-med and I don't necessarily have to go back to school to take
anymore classes?

(***Question 1:
Do I have to go back to school to retake the prerequisite classes since it's been so long since I graduated?
Do dental school have an expiration dates on the classes? I didn't see anyone mentioning that on their websites. Somebody recommended me to attend those Princeton Review DAT test prep courses? to refresh my memories and of course I am planning to study on my own first).

And for the letter of recommendation,
I really don't know how I could contact my professors from long time ago and ask for a committee letter...
One of the school that I checked out says:

Option 1: Requires two letters. One letter will be a packet or composite/committee letter. The applicant will indicate this on the AADSAS application. The second letter, a personal reference, must be from a dentist.

Option 2: Requires four letters. The first letter must be written and submitted by an academic professional (instructor, advisor, department chair, etc). The second letter must be from a dentist. The third and fourth letters can be submitted as personal letters and can be submitted by another academic professional, another dentist, a supervisor, or someone who knows the applicant well enough to speak positively on the applicant’s behalf.

I was thinking about asking my adviser but I found out he's retired.

i have not asked around yet for the dentist who might want to have me shadowing their practice but
gosh, it's a lot. I feel like my brains going to explode but funny thing is I haven't done anything yet,but just to think about what I have to do is very overwhelming.

So my question in short:
Not sure if I must? go back to school to take every pre requisite classes all over again?

Don't know who to ask for LOR

Can somebody guide this lost soul?
I really want to do this. I have to do this.
I know you don't know me but I really have to get out of this current life.
I need to make some changes.
Please help me.

Thank you so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently something happened (sorry for being ambiguous) and I want to give it a try for a dentist school.
Through out the time working in this family business, I always had a mind of wanting to work in some kind of medical field but I had no courage to do so.
Can somebody guide this lost soul?
I really want to do this. I have to do this.
I know you don't know me but I really have to get out of this current life.
I need to make some changes.

"Joined: Jan 12, 2015
Have you considered trying to apply to med school again?

"Joined: Jan 12, 2015
Have you considered trying to apply to med school again?

No.. I didn't even try .. ):
I feel like I somehow psychologically blocked myself from even thinking about trying to apply to med school...
although I dream about working in the medical field so frequent.
I guess one can dream about it but it's another thing to achieve it, right?
(Can you sense my failure ): ? )

My dad, especially, throughout the year, tries to encourage me to try it again, but it never happened.
Thanks, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you don't have to retake the pre-reqs even though they were from six years ago. However, most schools won't accept a DAT score older than three years. First thing you should do is to log some shadowing hours (100hrs = ideal) preferably with a general dentist. Then try to gather three letters of recommendation from your previous school. This might be challenging since you graduated six years ago, but some professors wouldn't mind writing a recommendation letter if a student did well in his/her course (even if the person took the class ages ago). I mean I doubt they write a unique letter for each student who asks for it. They will probably tweak some sentences here and there anyway. Lastly, get a letter from the dentist you have shadowed towards the end of your shadowing.

The most important step is this. Pick one or two dental schools you would like to attend, and send their admissions office an email with what you just asked. But for now, focus on shadowing and prepping for the DAT.

Thank you for your quick reply, studentdent00.
Yes, I will look for a dentist to shadow first (very nervous about this.. heard it is difficult!)
and I was looking at my university's campus directory to see if my professors are still there teaching lol .
I think I have a few that I might be able to ask, maybe. haha..I hope they would say yes.
I am a GA resident and am thinking about GRU dental school and I think I'm going to e-mail the admission office soon.

Thank you again, I hope you know it's really.. it gives me a sense of relief to talk to somebody and get advice.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to retake the pre-reqs even though they were from six years ago. /QUOTE]

I think you will find this to be inaccurate. Many schools want pre-reqs to have been taken in the last 4 years, and I recall seeing this in the ADEA guide book.

Even though it's been more than 6+ years since you've taken chem or bio, I think a lot of it will come back to you once you start to review. Khan Academy on Youtube is amazing, and I would highly suggest using Chad's videos. For ochem, check out Organic Chemistry As a Second Language.

1) Shadow ASAP to see if you like Dentistry. This isn't something you just want to rush into. I say this since you never mentioned a love for dentistry, just a sense to go into a medical field. The medical field is very broad, and dentistry is very specific ; working on very small things backwards and upside down - make sure you want this before you spend you time and money to commit to it.

2) Retake some pre-reqs, or take similar type courses... i.e. anatomy, histology, biochem. If it has been 6 years+ since your last courses. Schools will want you to prove to them you still have the mental capacity to master difficult science course after being away for so long. You don't need to take a full load, maybe just 9 hours.

3) Study DAT as if it were another course, take it at the end of next Spring, or earlier if you are truly ready.

4) Get LOR from 2 dentists and 2 professors from the courses you enroll in.

Just schedule a meeting with a dental admission advisor, they will tell you exactly what you need to do.

Good Luck - if you really want it you can do it. Just think of where you want to be in the next five years. Don't rush, do everything with full attention.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your reply and your suggestions. Very helpful. :)

Reactions: 1 user
1) Shadow ASAP to see if you like Dentistry. This isn't something you just want to rush into. I say this since you never mentioned a love for dentistry, just a sense to go into a medical field. The medical field is very broad, and dentistry is very specific ; working on very small things backwards and upside down - make sure you want this before you spend you time and money to commit to it.

2) Retake some pre-reqs, or take similar type courses... i.e. anatomy, histology, biochem. If it has been 6 years+ since your last courses. Schools will want you to prove to them you still have the mental capacity to master difficult science course after being away for so long. You don't need to take a full load, maybe just 9 hours.

3) Study DAT as if it were another course, take it at the end of next Spring, or earlier if you are truly ready.

4) Get LOR from 2 dentists and 2 professors from the courses you enroll in.

Just schedule a meeting with a dental admission advisor, they will tell you exactly what you need to do.

Good Luck - if you really want it you can do it. Just think of where you want to be in the next five years. Don't rush, do everything with full attention.

Hello, thank you for your reply.
I will definitely look for the dentist to shadow first, before my real commitment and thanks for the encouragement :) !