Non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here is a non-traditional student? I am currently in my last year of PA school and have been really considering dental school. I was planning to work for about a year as a PA before applying to dental schools. My question is that would schools look down on students who have just finished another healthfield degree? Anyone with similar stories?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a non-traditional applicant. I worked in medicinal chemistry research for 4 years, and now I am applying to dental schools. All the schools I interviewed at valued my working experiece and maturity, and see them as good qualities. However, all of them asked me about how I came to my decision of switching career to dentistry, why now and not when I first graduated from college. If you have genuine interests in dentistry, and spend time learning about the profession through shadowing and volunteering, I don't think your prior degree will be a problem. Just my two cents.

On the contrary, I think your experience would be a huge plus. I'm 36 years old and a third year at UConn. I worked in laboratory medicine for 12 years before coming to dental school. That experience was viewed very positively. One question you will almost certainly be asked though is WHY you are changing careers, esp after only one year as a PA. They'll want you to establish that you are really certain about dentistry.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Margaret
sheen said:
Anyone here is a non-traditional student? I am currently in my last year of PA school and have been really considering dental school. I was planning to work for about a year as a PA before applying to dental schools. My question is that would schools look down on students who have just finished another healthfield degree? Anyone with similar stories?