Non-US, caribbean med student, MS3 currently in India wanting to volunteer in USA for COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medtissue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a caribbean med student, currently doing third year clerkships in the states, I want to volunteer in the states and help HCW fight against COVID-19. Are there resources that one can provide so I can be eligible? Are any volunteer groups or any Hospitals taking foreign med students for help and assistance?

Members don't see this ad.

are you in India or the united states ?
If you are in India why wouldn’t you just volunteer there?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We are sending US med students home at this time while we figure out what to do with them for safety reasons. Why would we accept another country's medical student? And why do you wanna volunteer here specifically? Why not volunteer in your home country? Its a pandemic, every country is dealing with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am a caribbean med student, currently doing third year clerkships in the states, I want to volunteer in the states and help HCW fight against COVID-19. Are there resources that one can provide so I can be eligible? Are any volunteer groups or any Hospitals taking foreign med students for help and assistance?

Most medical schools have shutdown clerkships for their own programs to reduce the use of PPE and limit exposure to covid19. Most hospitals have suspended volunteering for the same reasons. It is highly unlikely that you would be able to volunteer in any medical capacity given the limitations of the system and the limitations of your training as a med student. Simply put, you don’t know enough to help out in a meaningful way. If you are already in the states and want to volunteer, look into doing food deliveries for vulnerable populations or volunteering in food banks and homeless shelters.

Reactions: 1 user
Help by staying home, and not being a COVID19 vector.

Reactions: 1 users
Stay in India for the time being and volunteer there if you are safely allowed to do so. When they allow USA medical students in USA to volunteer then I'm sure many places would love to have you.

It's not possible, our rotations got cancelled.

Your rotations are canceled because there's lack of PPE and you have a large chance of getting the virus and spreading it to others. For those same exact reasons, no one is going to let you volunteer.

Reactions: 1 users
Most medical schools have shutdown clerkships for their own programs to reduce the use of PPE and limit exposure to covid19. Most hospitals have suspended volunteering for the same reasons. It is highly unlikely that you would be able to volunteer in any medical capacity given the limitations of the system and the limitations of your training as a med student. Simply put, you don’t know enough to help out in a meaningful way. If you are already in the states and want to volunteer, look into doing food deliveries for vulnerable populations or volunteering in food banks and homeless shelters.

Yeah, anything. I need the
Stay in India for the time being and volunteer there if you are safely allowed to do so. When they allow USA medical students in USA to volunteer then I'm sure many places would love to have you.

Thankyou for replying