Nontrad 3.72 cGPA/3.66 sGPA, 36 MCAT, how do I not waste time/$?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolyApoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to gauge where I should be applying to and what might not be great options, any input would be awesome:

• Ivy undergrad engineering degree
  • Utah ties, PA resident
  • Asian male
  • 3.72 cGPA and 3.66 sGPA, a few pretty mediocre grades in core courses (B- physics, C+ orgo - but most upper level BCPM grades were great which raised sGPA.)
  • 36 MCAT (11 PS/11 VR/14 BS)
Since I'm nontraditional, have experience which I'm hoping will improve my app strength vs the numbers.
  • 3 years part/full-time (~4000 hours) cancer research lab while undergrad and right after graduation, only 1 non-first author publication, 2 conference abstracts. 1.5 years of this was independent study/research thesis but project didn't work, so no results to publish
  • 1 year full time African NGO volunteer program with some clinical outreach, some workshops, some public health administration
  • 300 clinical hospital volunteering hours and some leadership/training for new volunteers
  • Current full-time clinical research coordinator at hospital (will be 2 year position by time of matriculation)
And assorted ECs:
  • Fraternity leadership for two years
  • President of campus drug/alcohol student health education organization
  • Previous leadership in local volunteer organization (~250 total hours)
  • Handful of presentations/talks from work and ECs but none on scientific research.

I think I should be okay to apply broadly to top schools and hope I get in, but having trouble deciding where to draw the line on schools that aren't as much of a reach. Looking mostly for cities/urban centers, but they're all more broadly applied to. My list so far, based on LizzyM data:

Reach
Penn
Hopkins
Chicago
Columbia
Harvard
Cornell
Northwestern
Stanford

Mid-range
Mt. Sinai
Baylor
Emory
NYU
Einstein
Boston

Lower end
Tufts
Jefferson
USC
Temple

My list just looks too top-heavy to me at the moment, but trying to figure out what might be good fits to pare down/replace with. A couple of schools I'm waffling on:
UCSF - OOS?
Georgetown and GW - I would love DC, but so many applicants
Utah - I have ties to Utah but should I aim for more PA/NY schools?
Colorado/Washington - I've heard they're good for my profile but again, OOS
Drexel
NY Downstate

Any tips/give me a reality check?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ALL of the schools get a gazillion applicants, so that should not be what scares you away from them.

Your numbers are really good, but unfortunately, you have to be better than good for an OOS for the UC system. Both DC schools are fine. Keep in mind that state schools favor the home team, so you again, have to be >avg. You will have better luck with the NY and PA schools. I'd skip U CO and U WA as well. You're fine really for any medium tier school, and even high tiers like Pitt, , Vanderbilt or Duke are within striking distance.

My list just looks too top-heavy to me at the moment, but trying to figure out what might be good fits to pare down/replace with. A couple of schools I'm waffling on:
UCSF - OOS?
Georgetown and GW - I would love DC, but so many applicants
Utah - I have ties to Utah but should I aim for more PA/NY schools?
Colorado/Washington - I've heard they're good for my profile but again, OOS
Drexel
NY Downstate

Any tips/give me a reality check?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Do you think it'd be unreasonable or too much work to just add on Pitt/Vandy/Duke/DC schools/Drexel? I'd be in the mid-20s for schools then. I may be overlooking smaller (non-northeast) urban centers, if anyone sees any I've missed?

I don't what I was thinking when I read your post...your numbers are pretty stellar, as are the ECs. So, aim high. Definitely ALL schools in PA, NY, and other states that border PA, and that are reasonably OOS friendly, like OH State. Vanderbilt is definitely in reach, as is Duke, Baylor, Wake Forest, MSU, BU, Tufts, all Chicago schools except U ILL, and even some of the Ivies. Good luck!

Thanks! Do you think it'd be unreasonable or too much work to just add on Pitt/Vandy/Duke/DC schools/Drexel? I'd be in the mid-20s for schools then. I may be overlooking smaller (non-northeast) urban centers, if anyone sees any I've missed?