Nontrad Florida prereq advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Straw Hat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been looking at the prereqs for Florida schools and it looks like compared to a few months ago when I looked at them some schools have changed the orgo requirements from 8 to 4 credits of organic chem and biochem is required but can also be substituted for the orgo (basically sub for orgo II). I assume this is in light of the new mcat content. I don't have an msar atm but I'm also thinking more schools prereqs will trend this way in the next year or two which is prob when I'll be applying.

In light of this, would it be safe to skip orgo II and take this biochem course listed below? Most biochem classes require that second semester of orgo. And they do have a higher level biochem that does require orgo ii. But this one will be available to me and save me time and money. However, I will just go the more traditional route if this isn't a good option. So, do yall think I would at a disadvantage for the mcat and admissions taking the one listed below?

It falls under their Biochemistry category
BCH 3023 Elementary Organic and Biological Chemistry
http://www.spcollege.edu/courses/prefix/B

As far as prereqs go, what I'm talking about is below...
For example, USFs chem/organic chem requirements are

Chemistry with lab
"At least two semesters at the college or university level. This must include core concepts of the chemical sciences. If a student has taken basic chemistry through high school dual enrollment or AP courses, then they will be expected to obtain two semesters of other chemical sciences at the college or university level. Requirement includes at least one semester that focuses on organic chemistry principles (with lab), and at least one semester that focuses on principles of biochemistry."

Sorry that was a mouthful but any input would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You may want to consider doing the orgo I and II and take biochem in your glide year.

If Biochem is now a guaranteed portion of the new MCAT, I don't think it would behoove the OP to put off taking it until the glide year/app cycle.

OP, I assume you're a USF student since you've listed their reqs for Chem/Orgo in addition to the CC. From what I've heard, USF usually won't sign off on a student taking classes with another institution if they (USF) have offerings for the relevant class in the relevant semester. Regarding which class you should take, the typical advice here is that you should complete all classes relevant to the MCAT before you take the MCAT.

I'm actually taking classes in Fort Myers at the moment at the local state college. I was just using USF as an example. My situation is a bit odd. I moved down here with my gf (now fiancé) from Ga. But I work in Sarasota as a nurse. So I take classes in Fort Myers and commute to Sarasota for work. But in the near future we will likely be living in the Tampa/St. Pete area and I'll still commute but it will hopefully be a bit shorter and easier.

I'm currently in Orgo 1. I'd love to take part II with the same professor but we will probably be out of here by summer or definitely by fall. With all the driving I already do, moving, and time spent I just figured it might make sense to shoot for that biochem class in order to save time and money. But again, I may just go ahead and take Orgo II if it'll pose any problems skipping it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If your school will allow it, why not take biochem first and then take organic II during your glide year? That way you'll have all the bases covered in case some schools still require organic II. At least on the old MCAT, the most important part of organic II for MCAT purposes was the biochem part. While retrosynthesis is fun to do (and secured a Nobel Prize for EJ Corey for inventing it), there are no retrosyntheses on the MCAT. ;)

If your school will allow it, why not take biochem first and then take organic II during your glide year? That way you'll have all the bases covered in case some schools still require organic II. At least on the old MCAT, the most important part of organic II for MCAT purposes was the biochem part. While retrosynthesis is fun to do (and secured a Nobel Prize for EJ Corey for inventing it), there are no retrosyntheses on the MCAT. ;)

That's what I was thinking would be best. However, I'm having trouble finding schools that offer biochem without requiring orgo II anyways. So I might just have to do it the old fashioned route.