Nontrad journal club: Week of Nov. 26th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

any interest in a nontrad online journal club?

• Yes

Votes: 21 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wholeheartedly

Epi Geek
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if there would be any interest in starting a nontrad journal online here? Some other areas have started them to practice looking at data and interpreting it for the experimental sections of the MCAT. Not sure how helpful it'd be for that, but could be fun/interesting, and might be more educational with people at different levels of training. I'm thinking one or two articles a month, format to be decided, topics rangjng from basic science bench type stuff through population studies to behavioral.

So any takers? Participation could be on an as available basis so long as there are a few steady people each time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have purchased a domain name and hosting for a blog for what I believe to be my 4 year long process of getting debt paid off, volunteering, finishing my bachelors, saving my money from my very nice current job, taking the required science classes, and then eventually taking my MCAT.

Blog therapy. Just trying to figure out where I need to begin! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I already blog, regularly. Though more vignettes about the struggles I've been through to get to where I'm at, I also document how to get A's in premed courses.

Last, looking into Camtasia and other products to get a Khan like video collection done for the basics of biochem on the MCAT (and submitting those to AAMC).

That said, I'm using the blog as a jump off point to a book which was originally going to be fact based fiction (on my life) but after reading so many stories on here that are similar to mine (not exactly but in the catastrophic events that individuals had to overcome just to get to the point where they can click on the SUBMIT button for AMCAS), I'm hoping to get their consent when the time comes and include their stories as well.

To me, being an ultra-nontrad, I feel it is my job and that of others to help those behind us know, this can be done!

:) smack me now for the ramble :)

And oops, the book is called, "Some People Dream. Some People Do" and the author is a pseudonym I used for another book, "Nichele Kaiser"

Ok, but what about the journal club?

Learn cool stuff, get comfortable reading unfamiliar info, get comfortable with looking at and understanding figures and charts (mcat stuff), see some applied statistics, get practice critically evaluating medical studies (i.e. did they really show that , what are the limitations, potential sources of bias, and would it apply to my patients?) other stuff as we see fit, and oh yeah, did I mention read cool and interesting stuff.

It's always more fun when you aren't being graded

So I think we'll give this a go for a trial run, we can play with the format to make it work for us if we need to. i'd like to keep the tone relaxed and curious as opposed to a formal or rigid format. Best journal club i was in was pretty laid back and somehow the most educational at the same time.

For the first one, I think I'll choose an article and give everyone a week to read it. Then I'll post a quick summary with some questions to jump start discussion and everyone else can chime in with responses, further questions, etc. for another week. we can have someone else pick the next article and so on trying to cover a broad range of topics. Might also be fun to debunk some current events science news with the actual literature behind the headlines.

I'm in. Are we doing this as a public thread or private conversation?

P.S. if I ever get to pick an article, "A Qualitative Study on the Probability of Goro Belonging to the Feline Family"

I'm thinking public thread so that others who might be interested but unsure, or those who don't know how this works can see and decide to join in if they feel comfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have purchased a domain name and hosting for a blog for what I believe to be my 4 year long process of getting debt paid off, volunteering, finishing my bachelors, saving my money from my very nice current job, taking the required science classes, and then eventually taking my MCAT.

Blog therapy. Just trying to figure out where I need to begin! :)

Hi All - was just thinking about the implications to this. If I make a blog and it starts getting a lot of traffic potential as the years go on, do you think this could come back and hurt me during the application process? If I make it to specific, won't people in admissions know who I am and begin to review all my blog posts over the years or am I just being neurotic? I wouldn't want a blog to in any way hurt my chances, only help them by showing my dedication and journey.

So how are we gonna do this? Are we starting with that NEJM article?

Wondering if there would be any interest in starting a nontrad journal online here? Some other areas have started them to practice looking at data and interpreting it for the experimental sections of the MCAT. Not sure how helpful it'd be for that, but could be fun/interesting, and might be more educational with people at different levels of training. I'm thinking one or two articles a month, format to be decided, topics rangjng from basic science bench type stuff through population studies to behavioral.

So any takers? Participation could be on an as available basis so long as there are a few steady people each time.

WH, it's a capital idea! :)

if you guys want to start over in skype let me know.

Yea, I don't think people will Skype d/t identity issues--maintaining anonymity.

if you want to join, private message me. i have one set up now.

So, i think we'll just use this thread. I can update the title when i add stuff and I believe you all have the option to "watch" this thread and recieve notifications with updates.

I plan to post our first article for Monday.