NonTrad Qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belljar1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone,
I have been thinking about going to med school, for quite some time. My child just turned 16, so she will be off to college herself soon and I feel that I am ready to invest in myself .

Obviously, I am a non-trad (43 y.o). I have a BA in Psychology (3.76 --but with alot of science/math courses --that GPA though is probably only a 3.4). I also have a MA in Research Methods (GPA 3.5)--with a lot of advanced statistics courses (GPA 3.4 in the math classes). I also went to a direct entry to masters nursing program (GPA 3.2). My last "schooling" was 12 years ago--although I have been working in healthcare since that time.

Here are my questions:
1) I have almost all of the prereqs except for physics--certainly I can take this (or repeat prereqs) at a CC--but will schools look at ANY of my previous coursework? I realize each school may have a different policy , but in general, what seems to be the norm?
2) MCAT--- this terrifies me. I'm used to taking exams/certification exams---but I haven't had a "pure" science course in a LONG time. For this reason alone it may be necessary to enroll in a postbac med program or retake courses. What are other non-trads experience with the MCAT?
3)Age--- we all know age discrimination exists---what are your experiences with medical school applications ? I'd love to hear from other 40+ people.

Thank you for any insight!!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I have almost all of the prereqs except for physics--certainly I can take this (or repeat prereqs) at a CC--but will schools look at ANY of my previous coursework? I realize each school may have a different policy , but in general, what seems to be the norm?
Every year in this forum there's a freakout thread about expiration of prereqs. Links to 2-3 schools with specific policies are posted. As if this represents all 150+ med schools. So you're correct, there's no blanket answer.

In general, unless a school specifically posts a policy:
1. You need fresh undergrad science coursework, and possibly some humanities, to show that you can still thrive in an undergrad classroom. How much? Depends. Certainly at least 3-4 classes so that you can get 3-4 letters (and 3-4 fresh A's).
2. You need to freshen your exposure to biology. 12 years ago there was less emphasis on genetics & on cell bio. I suggest taking 2 of the following before starting MCAT prep: cell bio, genetics, biochem.
3. Physics ages well. This doesn't help you since you haven't taken it yet, but nobody ever questioned my 22 year old physics grades. Nobody cared that I did the calc-based flavor, they just cared that I got A's.
4. Chem & OChem also age well. Depending on your retention of the content, I'd argue it's better to take some upper divs (cell bio, genetics, biochem) instead of repeating some chem.
5. Community and online coursework are problematic after a 12 year gap. For one thing, you don't want any doubt in your app. The other big fat thing is that you need letters of recommendation, 2-3 from science faculty, and another from non-science faculty. Including a letter from an employer is good, and somewhat expected, but that letter doesn't get you out of academic letters.
6. Don't use prereqs expiration as a filter for choosing schools. It's too hard. Instead, apply broadly, which means 25+ schools, to maximize your chances.
2) MCAT--- this terrifies me. I'm used to taking exams/certification exams---but I haven't had a "pure" science course in a LONG time. For this reason alone it may be necessary to enroll in a postbac med program or retake courses. What are other non-trads experience with the MCAT?
Take a browse through the MCAT forum to find best practices for the new exam, which I didn't take. There used to be a free practice exam, which you could use to gauge how much coursework you need to repeat. MCAT prep is review. If review isn't enough to get you good scores on practice exams, then there's your answer, you need to do more intensive work. For what it's worth, working a truckload of problems (such as in the Examkrackers books) was all I needed to remember my 22 year old physics. The kiddoes say nice things about Khan Academy, in lieu of retakes.
3)Age--- we all know age discrimination exists---what are your experiences with medical school applications ? I'd love to hear from other 40+ people.
My anecdotal experience is that age had nothing to do with my med school admissions story, and I'm relieved to find that it's not been a problem, at all, in residency interviews this year as I head into a pretty darned competitive specialty to start just a few days after I turn 50. Yes, of course, I applied very very broadly, but not as broadly as some of my age-normative classmates. As I've said a million times on SDN, before you blame "age discrimination" you have to not be in denial about your credentials as they compare to traditional applicants. You don't get to call "age discrimination" if you come into app season without the humility to play by the same rules as the kiddoes.

Meanwhile, the graveyard of dreams is littered with late applications. The kiddoes have their apps complete the day AMCAS, AACOMAS and TMDSAS open. For non-Texas US MD schools the app opens on June 1, and that means you ALREADY ordered and submitted every college transcript you ever earned, you ALREADY got your letter writers to pony up, you ALREADY got your MCAT score which means you took the exam in May at the latest, and you ALREADY picked your schools.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users
HI everyone,
Here are my questions:

Thank you for any insight!!

Read through my profile/past comments for some hope and tips for a 40'something. I'll be 50 when starting, but it's my dream and I'm ok with the sacrifice. It's possible to get in if you do what you need to do and have the scores. If your core sciences are >10yrs ago it's imo worth retaking them, especially if less than B's, just to prep for the MCAT and boost sgpa. Some MD programs require courses <7yrs. DO programs are more older non-trad and course retake friendly, so you need to decide between the two and know why (adcoms like to know that and why now.) You also want to take BioChem for the MCAT.

The BIGGEST thing you need to do is sit down and figure out if it's worth it! Financially, family cost, mentally, physically, giving up a chance to ever retire..... Do some shadowing, spend time with a doc trying to get paid by insurance, etc. If after all that you dream about doing it in your sleep then go for it and best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
My anecdotal experience is that age had nothing to do with my med school admissions story, and I'm relieved to find that it's not been a problem, at all, in residency interviews this year as I head into a pretty darned competitive specialty to start just a few days after I turn 50. Yes, of course, I applied very very broadly, but not as broadly as some of my age-normative classmates.

@DrMidlife, if you don't mind my jumping in ... I am really curious for any info or advice you can share about how you decided what residency you wanted to pursue, and what you think made it possible for you get through the process without feeling your age to be a bar? I'll be starting med school at 44 in August and want to do the best job possible of setting myself up for the next step.