Nontraditional Engineer: Post Bac or Do It Yourself Coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontraditionalengineer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you read a lot of the other postings on the forum, you'll find that it really depends on what you're looking for. If you're really trying to save on money, go for the local, state university. It really depends on what you want to do. As long as you feel like you're going to get outstanding grades at the local university-- go for it.

Otherwise, a lot of the programs you've been accepted to are rather cutthroat (personally, that's the impression I've had from reading through forums and seeing the stats.) Columbia in particular has quite the attrition rate and reputation. However, if you can guarantee that you'll do well against the curve, go for it-- as they have a lot of linkages. Though I've heard from certain people that if you go to Columbia, you might as well go to Harvard Extension for the money. Honestly... it just depends on what you're looking for from a program. Do you want hands-on advising? Do you want a small program with a good community? Is it all about tuition for you?

IMO, it sounds like you're pretty set AND your mind is leaning towards the at-home option, so why not go with your gut?

The good thing about U of A is that they have pre-med advisors and I've already been working with them. In addition, like you said, the expense is significantly decreased by this option as well. I was just curious about whether the post bac programs are really THAT beneficial to outweigh all the other factors but from what I read and your feedback it doesn't sound like it. Thanks for giving me your thoughts.. heavily leaning towards following my instincts. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly it depends. If you can get into a highly ranked postbacc like Goucher and you have the money it's probably worth it because it will save you time. I don't think any of the programs you listed are going to do that for you.

If you're willing to wait another year for a competitive post bacc-- top tier programs like Bryn Mawr and Goucher (even Bennington) may be up your alley. Otherwise, might be more beneficial for you to DIY