Nontraditional Major Schedule Structuring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HughMyron

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for premed students who majored (or are majoring) in something nontraditional, such as an engineering, fine arts, or liberal arts field.

As you probably know, unlike Biology/Biochemistry/Human Science/Whatever majors, we don't get our med school pre-reqs done as part of our major requirements. One thing that helps here is a lot of AP Credit. I don't think it will be possible to graduate on time if you don't have quite a bit of it. But even so, our schedules need to be carefully planned if we want to graduate on time and go to medical school.

But the reason to bring this thread up now is that future premeds will have to take the New MCAT. This means additional pre-requisites, such as biochemistry, psychology, sociology, etc. This won't be too much of a problem for the traditional majors, but it may clamp down even further on the already packed schedules of nontrad majors.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

If planned right, and by right I mean early, I don't think graduation on time will be a concern. Of course, it helps to know early that you will need the typical BCPM courses, so if you decide, say, junior year, then you might be pushing. You can always take summer courses. I (a nontrad major) had to take General Education science classes, bio, chem, phys etc, so there is no reason why a nontrad major who needs gen ed credit couldn't cover both bases by taking those sciences and at least knock out some of the reqs. I don't follow how it will be harder for nontrads and easier for traditional majors to take psych and sociology courses. if anything, the newer mcat helps nontrads in that respect, if anything.

AP credits helped me out a lot. I came into undergrad with over 35 credits from AP tests. I graduated on time in a non-science major. It just takes careful planning and a little scheduling wizardry.

Ironically, I graduated with a bachelors of SCIENCE in a "non-science" field.