~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
39, starting next week...so, 43 when I graduate and start residency. All of my grandparents worked well into their 70s, and I have longevity in my line. I feel like as long as I stay mentally, spiritually and physically healthy, I’ll be fine.

Oh, and I’m not competing with 20-somethings out there in the medical world. My only competition in this thing is ME.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
22 and starting MS1 in September.
Sounds pretty traditional but I have 3 years of occupational therapy under my belt which I gave up to pursue medicine. My friends have just finished taking their TWMLE Step 1.
PS. I’m Taiwanese and we start professional school straight out of HS. Six years for that MD!

Reactions: 1 user
32 three boys seven, six, and four, and marriage entering first semester of prerequisites! Yay me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
36 here. I am doing a post-bacc first for two years and I will be applying after that. I will likely be 46 when I finish residency, which sounds kind of scary, but I learned to enjoy the process and I would a million times rather find what truly makes me happy than sit and wait for happiness to find me. The latter will force me to wait forever and I don't want to waste a moment. I have been an electrical engineer for 15 years and have met some extremely smart and amazing people, but we all need to find what drives us. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
30 and starting from scratch. Once upon a time I was getting a Masters in Theology. 4 year, 121 credit program that I have a little bit more than half completed; life circumstance changed all of that. The pipe dream is med school for medical missions: the freedom that gives vs NP, PA, or anything like that. Essentially I'll be taking community college courses for 2 years to get my sciences caught up, go to a post-bacc 1 year Masters in Medical Science, and then apply from there.

Is that too ambitious? Am I being insane?

Reactions: 2 users
Will turn 29 right before I matriculate. A few years older than many of my peers, but the way I think about it- time is going to pass by anyways, so why not go for it and do what we’ve always dreamed of. It’s inspiring to see everyone in different stages of life going for their goals! Good job everyone, well make it one day!

I'm 29 now. I won't be done with my prereqs till I'm 31, but I turn 32 that summer. Hopefully I can start at 33 lol.

At least I have an MBA haha.

37 when I matriculate this fall ... with my many children and husband along for the ride :D

Reactions: 4 users
30 and starting from scratch. Once upon a time I was getting a Masters in Theology. 4 year, 121 credit program that I have a little bit more than half completed; life circumstance changed all of that. The pipe dream is med school for medical missions: the freedom that gives vs NP, PA, or anything like that. Essentially I'll be taking community college courses for 2 years to get my sciences caught up, go to a post-bacc 1 year Masters in Medical Science, and then apply from there.

Is that too ambitious? Am I being insane?

Coming from most the peers on here and straight from the MD school sources. I recommend that you try and take those prerequisites at a 4 year college!

30 years in 2 months and i matriculate this fall. the journey has been real But we keep pushing.

My med school starts the day after my birthday this year! I will be 32! It was about a 7 year premed journey for me. I have a BSc from outside of the US, so I had to do so many courses in the US I think I can almost get a second bachelor’s degree :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m 40. I’ll turn 41 the first week of med school (already accepted). 6 kids A wife and a mortgage.

Reactions: 8 users
32 (still, but also when I started last fall). I've been an elementary school teacher, middle school teacher, lived in another country for a spell, done a masters in public health, and was an infectious disease epidemiologist for my home state for a few years. No wife or kids (that I know of...lol), but I have two pretty awesome dogs...and I wouldn't change any of the professional decisions I've made up to this point (personal decisions on the other hand...haha).

This truly is an inspirational thread...just added it to the watch list. Hope to hear from lots more unique medics (future and past).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the current application 2019-2020 cycle and I am 25. I am also a current graduate student conducting research and studying my for masters in psychology. I am unsure if this is will be beneficial for my application process but one can hope!

I am 34, yes I said it 34. You guys are still young, I will be making my rounds with a walker!:)
Same here, turning to 34 this month. Since your post was from >10 years ago, I assume you already passed all your trainings and did all the hard work, and you are now 48! I hope I can score high on MCAT (my goal is 520) and achieve my dream like you did!

30 with 2 kids and starting this summer. You guys are all an inspiration!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
37 when I matriculate this fall ... with my many children and husband along for the ride :D
If you don't mind me asking, did you get into the school of your choice or are you having to go to school OOS? I posted a thread a little while ago about applicants/matriculants with a spouse and/or kids and moving away from my son is one, if not, my biggest concern in deciding to go for this ride lol. Any input is greatly appreciated!

I’m 28 and was just accepted into a 2-year SMP. So I’ll be starting med school at 30.

10 years ago you couldn’t have told me I wouldn’t be a doctor by age 26.

Things happen and we have to adapt and adjust. Several of my friends didn’t start until their late 20s/early 30s.

Honestly I don’t think age is relevant in medical training. Everybody is grinding and busting their butt for the same goal.

Last edited:
Replying to myself from more than 4 years ago...

will be 35 when I matriculate this summer/fall, ended up delaying my original timeline by several years, but well worth the wait as I had plenty of time in between to travel, reflect, and get married. I truly believe everything happens for a reason.

adding to the thread before @wholeheartedly merges the two :)

30, single, engineering background
currently in DIY post bacc, taking two classes this quarter
also working full time (40+ hour/week), grateful for the flexible work schedule

current plan: MCAT early 2016, apply in 2016 cycle, matriculate by 2017 (will be 32 by then)
dream school: Stanford

EDIT: while browsing through that old thread, happy belated birthday, @wholeheartedly!

Reactions: 7 users
If you don't mind me asking, did you get into the school of your choice or are you having to go to school OOS? I posted a thread a little while ago about applicants/matriculants with a spouse and/or kids and moving away from my son is one, if not, my biggest concern in deciding to go for this ride lol. Any input is greatly appreciated!
I was accepted to several schools (all OOS) including our preferred school :D .

We've considered my husband and kids stay in Hawaii while I'm in school, but ultimately decided against it. Although moving and relocating will be a ginormous mission for us, I'm certain it'll be a fun ride as long as we're together as a family :cool:

This thread is definitely inspirational. I'm a new 31, and hoping to start medical school in 2021. I work full-time in healthcare and am finishing an MS in anatomy currently. Sometimes listening to the 21/22 year old students in my classes talk about how old they are gets me down - it's really nice to hear that others have the struggles of age on their side as well, and to not be alone for once :)

I’ll be 28 this summer! I’m focusing on retaking (studying) the MCAT and working as an ED Tech + volunteer CTL counselor. I have a full plate but I’m excited to see where this journey takes me.

This thread is definitely inspirational. I'm a new 31, and hoping to start medical school in 2021. I work full-time in healthcare and am finishing an MS in anatomy currently. Sometimes listening to the 21/22 year old students in my classes talk about how old they are gets me down - it's really nice to hear that others have the struggles of age on their side as well, and to not be alone for once :)

I definitely feel where you're coming from! I'll be a fresh M1 and starting med school at 31!

I was accepted to several schools (all OOS) including our preferred school :D .

We've considered my husband and kids stay in Hawaii while I'm in school, but ultimately decided against it. Although moving and relocating will be a ginormous mission for us, I'm certain it'll be a fun ride as long as we're together as a family :cool:
I'm so happy that you got in. I remember replying to you back when you were applying.

• Love
I'm so happy that you got in. I remember replying to you back when you were applying.
thank you so much :love: it has been a long journey and still can't believe I'm here now...
That being said, I'm getting some serious anxiety about whether or not this is all even worth it and if I can even do it :eek::sick:

26, definitely on the low end age wise. Finished all of my pre-reqs during undergrad but decided to enter a career other than medicine. Realized I regretted my decision after a few years, took the MCAT/buttoned my app, and here we are!

thank you so much :love: it has been a long journey and still can't believe I'm here now...
That being said, I'm getting some serious anxiety about whether or not this is all even worth it and if I can even do it :eek::sick:
It will be worth it! You can do it!

Just dropping in to say good luck to you all. I am a rising MS3 taking Step 1 Friday and Level 1 Wednesday next week. Personally, I felt being a non-trad (turning 31 next month) has been very beneficial going through med school