Noobie Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omppu27

El Tiburon
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the application process with Med school since i just lately have seriously started to consider becoming a doctor. Buy anyway...

Can someone explain what "matching" means? I've seen pepole use this term but i never understand that they're talking about... Is there a difference in applying to Residencies compared to Med school? I've also seen charts of "percentage matched" of certain specialties. Explain please!

Thanks for the responses. I searched for any other threads like this but i couldn't find anything.

Members don't see this ad.

you kind of apply for residency, but really, you are put into a lottery. you list the programs you want to go to, the programs list who they want and you are literally "matched." very quick rundown, but when a school sells they "matching" statistic it means that their students were generally desirable.

Members don't see this ad :)
ucsf beat me to it. moral of the story- google.

you kind of apply for residency, but really, you are put into a lottery. you list the programs you want to go to, the programs list who they want and you are literally "matched." very quick rundown, but when a school sells they "matching" statistic it means that their students were generally desirable.

hahahahahaha thanks but where did you get that "o rly" baby thing from?

You apply to medical school. You can get multiple acceptances, and ultimately choose one.

You match into residency. You apply to multiple places, but only get accepted at one location.

Apparently there are certain colors that sould be worn together in the same outfit, but others that shouldn't. "Matching" means that the various items of clothing you've chosen for an outfit don't contain any colors that "clash."

Find a woman and ask for more details. This is kind of their thing.
Words right out of my mouth. Beat me to it.:(