Northwestern PM&R Summer Externship 2021 (M1's)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familyguy123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN:

Just wanted some advice. First time poster so apologies if format is off. Current M1 at my state school (not top 50), who is interested in PM&R. Have little prior research experience (did benchwork at my undergrad for 2.5 years, one poster), but in my gap years prior to medical school focused on gaining clinical experience. Rather extensive leadership experience and currently involved to a great extent at my med school (good EC's, not really research based though).

Was considering applying to the Northwestern PM&R Summer Externship, but given the Shirley Ryan Lab is world renowned, and Northwestern is a top notch med school, I was just wondering if it was even worth it to apply. I know top notch med schools often favor their own, so I wasn't sure if Northwestern (and this program in particular) wanted people from T10/T20 schools or favored those apps MUCH more heavily (i.e., to the point at which state school people didn't have a shot). I'm aware anyone coming from those schools has a tremendous advantage. Would appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

No harm. Just apply. I know plenty of students from lower tier schools and DO schools who got the spots.

Reactions: 1 user
Charting outcomes tell us that the scores are important in getting opportunities (auditions and interviews), but they are less important in where you get ranked. I’d see that as an opportunity. AT WORST...Shirley Ryan externship will give you valuable learning experience and perhaps a very reputable LOR and work experience. Even if you don’t end up matching there, it may help you and I doubt you’ll regret it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if it’s changed, but I did this 12 years ago. It was a great experience. I had limited prior research experience. DO student.

I applied a few years ago. I go to a top 5 school and had some limited experience working with disabilities, but a lot of prior research experience generally. That said, I did not really know what physiatry was all about, and I'm guessing that it was revealed in my application somewhere. Also, I think they prefer folks who don't have a home PMR dept and could really benefit from the opportunity the most. Craft a really good essay, because I think that's the main thing that they can judge you on as an M1.

Congrats OP & med_student_7 !
I was waitlisted last week :/
For future applicants: I applied super late & not much research experience but a good deal of PM&R shadowing (my home University has a pretty big PM&R department already - I heard that doesn't help). Not sure if the waitlist is just a soft R or if it gets used ¯\_(ツ)_/¯